Saturday 20 April 2013

Green Green Grass Close to Home


Not more than fifteen minutes away from my home, which is in a neighborhood that is a mix of urban/suburban, depending which way you walk, is what I affectionately describe as my playground, more accurately a Garry Oak meadow/park. Within its boundaries is an actual playground (which I don’t frequently utilize) though I have occasionally gone for a “swing.” It truly is a gift to have this oasis to provide a welcome diversion from city living, so near by.
Each season offers it own delightful flavour – at this time, spring has a firm foothold therefore the park has been adorned accordingly. It began with carpets of snowdrops. Then it was as though the carpet were picked up and shaken out and once laid back in place there is a mixture of purple and yellow crocuses – followed by daffodils. The dazzling display doesn’t end there, sometime ago the area was part of a region utilized by the local First Nations community to cultivate camas.  Soon swaying in the warm breeze will be legions of beautiful purple flowers. The oak trees are just beginning to show signs of the return of their unique but familiar foliage. Seemingly randomly arranged around the meadow, their forms twisted and contorted as they reach for the gradually increasing warmth of the lengthening sun light. Time and wisdom etched into the bark of these aging historians – each a keeper of local lore that has occurred in their presence and disappeared through the annals of time.
This relatively small natural reserve is a sanctuary for me – I carry myself in its midst as I would in any other place of worship, with reverence for the life present there and those lives that walked the land before me. It is truly a place to witness the miracles of creation. Speaking of miracles – just yesterday I witnessed a British Bulldog getting “air” (as he chased his Frisbee) all four legs off the ground, I didn’t think it possible for that breed, I never seen one so animated. I was humbled as I recognized the limitations I had previous projected on him.
There is a water reservoir on site – so always an opportunity to witness the variety of resident ducks and seasonally, Canadian geese. Late summer yields a scrumptious afternoon feed of wild blackberries!
There is some sort of “communication tower” on the grounds as well – it is often utilized be a pair of bald eagles – where they are well able to maintain a watchful vigil. Many other people seldom occupy the park it seems – so it is an ideal location for solitude. There are a few rocky knolls that offer a panoramic view – once I become embraced within, I soon forget how close I am to the city.
On one occasion I sat a top the rocky outcropping – I had thought alone, I had just begun to meditate, when I heard someone calling to me. A woman asked me if I had seen a flashlight in the area (she had been there the night before and lost it) I indicated that I had not. She then asked me if I would be willing to help her – I thought she had meant to look for the flashlight, so I said sure. We did look around a while and then she said there were more important matters at hand.
She led me to base of the communication tower – where she explained we were going to set up an “altar.” Familiar with some varieties of ceremony I thought nothing of the task at hand (I was pleased and curious to participate). She explained others were supposed to meet her, as they had yet to show, she wanted to get started. As I said, nothing up to that point struck me as being unreasonable, so we proceeded – she had “tea-light” candles to place in jars (which were to be arranged in a particular fashion upon a blanket). There were prayers and various offerings to be included. As we worked she explained further that this spot had been chosen to set an intention for Peace (alright I thought – I’m on board with that) she went on to say the tower is used to broadcast communication – “right?” she waited for my answer. I replied “ya – as far as I know.” She then said, “So we set this altar at the base of the tower – it contains all these prayers and intentions for peace (which are all energy) the energy is then transmitted through the tower and out into the world!!”
She didn’t bat an eye or miss a beat with her explanation – which led me to believe she was serious. As I listened to this plan – it was one of those moments where my skepticism was suspended and as I considered what she proposed I thought, “Hmm – okay, sure, why not? Who am I to say otherwise?”
So we carried on with setting up – we had just completed when two other fellows joined us. She hugged them both so I guessed they were her missing assistants. She introduced them “Peter, Simon and herself “Mary” I thought nothing of it – we had got so involved in setting up earlier we didn’t introduce ourselves. I reciprocated, “I’m Rob.” “So Rob, are you familiar with the disciples?”
“Ya, Sleepy, Doc, Bashful” I answered tongue in cheek. She laughed, “No really, do you know of them?” “Well I don’t know that I could name them all, but you are referring to the followers (the inner circle of Jesus). “ “Yes she replied, so once again this is Peter, Simon and I am Mary – Mary Magdalene.”
Okay I though, this is getting a little peculiar – still, they seem harmless. She asked me if there was a disciple that resonated for me. It took me very little time to reply, “yes, Thomas – that would be Doubting Thomas.”
“Alright then you are Thomas!” “What do you mean? – Just like that, I am Thomas?” She said, “Well know, just a minute.” She pulled a little vial out of her bag poured some of its contents in the palm of her hand and before I knew what was happening she made the sign of the cross on my forehead and said – “Now you are Thomas.”
I was at a loss for words – I just thanked her, though I began to think I was in a little deeper than perhaps I wanted to be. The time that followed was filled with small talk; she continually expressed to her friends how helpful I had been setting up the altar and conveying her gratitude to me. After exchanging a few more pleasantries I excused myself – she gave me a big hug and I left. I have been to the park many times since – at various times of day or evening I have never seen these folks again (or their altar). I guess no harm done (though a friend that does ceremony was concerned and suggested I be careful about allowing people to “anoint me in the future). Admittedly it felt a bit invasive (after the fact) but it happened so fast – I was just flowing with the moment.
Unquestionably this small green space in the heart of the city is an extraordinary place indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment