Friday 7 June 2013

Dream a Little Dream (With Me)

I wonder, do "dreams" come from the same place as inspiration ("creative" or otherwise?) Perhaps there are no dreams or inspiration that doesn't begin as creative energy - having as their origins the source of all creation. This energy is individuated to different hearts/souls here on planet earth which might explain why everyone doesn't have the same dream (and could lend a clue to "purpose.") As such there is no one that can claim to "not be creative" - as everyone dreams, don't they? So if it can be accepted that the creative energies of the universe are infinite with respect to reach and possibility and everyone dreams (or has had "an idea") then nobody is without creative potential. In this light maybe what could be broadened, is what constitutes creativity and/or an act of creation (at least for those who continue to insist they "aren't creative."

When I refer to dreams in this case I'm not referring to the visioning or processing of the subconscious that typically occurs while asleep (unless you happen to be awake at the time). Neither am I suggesting that these dreams aren't linked with the processes of creation - they just don't happen to be my particular focus (or expertise) in this article (of course I've been wrong before - so they could work their way in at some point).

I'm more making reference to that which one "aspires to" or that which has come to be used synonymously with "goals."(though the distinction is getting increasingly unclear even as I write). What began this foray into the realm of dreams? I sat down at my coffee shop (cum office) with the intention to work on my book manuscript - upon the in house stereo is Judy Garland singing "Somewhere Over a Rainbow." (.... "and the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true.") as I listen to this line I am deeply moved and immediately feel an unexpected melancholy and my eyes well with tears) - first of all I must state up front, this is all rather inconvenient - this doesn't seem to me the time or the place! Second though I quite like the song and even the movie (this goes for me, beyond sentimentality for either).

So then, with respect to creativity, this may well be nothing more than a "creative" diversion from the writing I had "intended" to do. Perhaps testimonial to the ease at which my "monkey mind" can be lured from it's original aim and intention. Fortunately the scope of this sort of departure is well-suited to this blog (failing that, I have an in with the editor - I'm confident I can get him onboard!)

Why then the emotionality around dreams (it's fascinating to me - I had no such feeling this day thus far) until....... I was sucker punched - right in the heart! Now I had been to my early a.m. "Kundalini Yoga class" (the "kriya" focus today was the "Throat Chakra") as I consider this, it occurs to me that one means of bringing dreams to realization is through the speaking of them (i.e. Martin Luther King - "I have a dream...."). Now maybe it could be argued that my dreams are not of the "calibre" of his - of course no sooner do I write that, I realize in fact they have been, the truth is that there has been far less in the way of "action" on my part (which doesn't nullify my being "the receiver of the dreams" it would however suggest there has been some sort of disconnect with respect to the realization of the dream). Certainly there have been innumerable ideas, inspirations etc. that I in effect ran interference with. Perhaps the chants and meditations today - got in there and stirred up some grief around "unrealized dreams" - long forgotten (and maybe even more recent) occasions, where I didn't speak my truth. How many of my "bigger dreams" have been denied through remaining silent or through questionable effort and half-truths? (on a day to day basis this is bound to have an accumulative outcome - generally not one I am likely to want to celebrate).

Undoubtedly the way in which I hold myself in relation to the dreams has (and will continue to)  require revision (particularly with respect to my capacity to make the dreams real - "belief in self") the dreams themselves aren't "the problem" -  I need to think more of my ability to be part of the manifestation and see myself perhaps as less important, than the realization of the dream (I'm not suggesting a mindset of "low-self esteem," rather - the reward would come as a result of the expenditure of "self" on a mighty dream, that ultimately is of more "value." I've heard it said that if one has the capacity to dream the dream - then they also have what it takes to bring the dream into being. Also, that when one commits - "Providence" moves and circumstances and resources shift or become available that were previously unknown. Certainly this makes "sense" when considered in the context of dreams/inspiration being divine in nature and that each member of humanity through their unique gifts are the hands and legs with which inspiration is made manifest. (of course humans are capable of being a largely destructive force as well).

Clearly there can be a great deal of blood, sweat and tears on the road to "dreams come true" - I begin to wonder if the choice to shelter oneself (myself) from the "hardships" of a cause greater than myself, doesn't perhaps bring about more suffering than what might appear on the surface to be the fruitless, thankless, under-taking of seemingly insurmountable realities.

Maybe they are not "my" (our) dreams - maybe "we" are being "dreamed" while I've been busy through my life chasing after aspects of "the American dream" and lamenting falling short of "Living the Dream" - God/Great Spirit/Universal Intelligence has been trying to lay out for me my part (might well be the formula for lasting contentment (again for me) - you have your own dreams, doesn't mean our paths might not meet, but likely there can be no contentment following someone else's dream (hint: have you ever seen statistics on the yearly sales volume of anti-depressants?).

Thing is, one might get little or no support from family, friends, or co-workers when it comes to "following your dream." Of course I've been there - following the crowd, looking for validation and approval from what everyone else is doing - what can I say..... sat at the table, looked around to see how the game is played, hung on every number as it's called....... at the end of the day NO BINGO!! I know how to fix it........ more cards........ more daubers!!!!!!

Hell No!......... I finally figured it out (maybe!) the "house wins" (and will continue to win!)

Time for a new game! Resurrect the dream ..... dream a new dream! This time ..... perhaps I don't treat inspiration like the "cable movie network" - less talk & more rock!!

Then again - pinch me someone - I may be dreaming!!





No comments:

Post a Comment