Monday 13 October 2014

Spinning the Classics

Row row row your boat
Gently down the stream
Merrily merrily merrily merrily
Life is but a dream

- "English language nursery rhyme"


                    Or

Encrypted passage of universal truth and wisdom?

Of course I remember singing this verse as a child - as was the case with other "nursery rhymes" (some of which in later life, I came to know depicted some rather grisly events and shadowy aspects of "human nature." I don't recall deriving any particular meaning from any of this nor was any offered. I absolutely value (to this very day) music, song, singing - but in retrospect I think children should not just be fed arbitrary rhymes without a mindful consideration of the meaning behind them. Seems to me it trivializes/minimizes the impact of the original events and might even create a difficulty with reconciling the rote learning and recitation of these verses when one comes to know of their origins. A consciousness - or rather lack there of, that systematically desensitizes, creates the need for disassociation and denial of otherwise horrific atrocity, implicitly grants acceptance and permission for the violence to be perpetuated.

Returning to the above referenced rhyme then, what might be gleaned from it's seemingly trite presentation?

Row row row YOUR boat (capitals and emphasis mine);

I consider what is being expressed here rather explicitly suggests, that I row my own boat. Why? Well I could let someone else do it, but how long is it going to be before they decide, "I'm rowing, and I want to go over there!" I might be thinking I'm pretty clever, look at me I'm getting a free ride here, until I give my head a shake, look around and realize my boat isn't anywhere near my desired destination! At that point I might spend more time confounding my situation by screaming at the person I gave the oars to - rather than saying, thanks for the ride, I'll take those oars back now and by the way, not only am I rowing now I'm captain and GPS!

Gently down the stream:

If I am the vessel (boat) that is traveling upon this stream (life) how much easier would it be, if I "go with flow?" rather than expend untold energy thrashing around sometimes even going against the current - fighting and struggling every inch of the way, only to become exhausted and unable to continue battling the stream, I finally give up and I'm taken to some little oasis upon it's banks. Of course by then I'm battered, bruised and depleted and it's some time before I can appreciate where I am or how easy it might have been to get there without all the force and efforting. The other thing is when I'm quiet enough - the stream can be heard sharing endless wisdom and beautiful melodies. However, if I'm so busy huffing and puffing, thrashing about I can't hear any of it! Perhaps contrary to mindsets such as: "No pain - no gain," "Do or die" etc. one could consider: Go - but go gently!

Merrily merrily merrily merrily:

I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence but the post would be incomplete if I didn't comment here! I would submit there isn't anything in the way of a hidden message here! And just in case it's unclear - it's repeated four times!

 How then are we to engage with life? - Merrily!

What's that you say? - Merrily!

What are you some kind of Polly Anna? - Merrily!

No I'm not a pessimist - I'm just being "realistic" - Merrily!!!!!!!

Joesph Campbell said: "Follow Your Bliss"

It has also been said: "It is Your Father's great pleasure to give you the kingdom."  Though you might need to consider that if what you are doing has you feeling miserable, then maybe it's not the path to your kingdom.  (See Row Row Row Your Boat) If you're not rowing take back the oars. If you are - I'll be kind............ consider a course change.

Life is but a Dream:

I know... I know.... my shit feels pretty real too!!!! Think about some of the things you might have anguished over sometime previously. Now perhaps you wonder, what was all the fuss about? But how much time and energy went into that stew? And for what? I mean no disrespect to anyone that is still processing some past life event - do what you need to do to honour and make peace with yourself. All I know is with an expanded perspective my stories (my dream) are not carved in stone the way that  I might have previously believed and as the veil is removed, all is indeed not as it seems and events upon my own personal stage and likely those upon the world stage alter as my "vision" transforms. I am becoming more firmly convinced that heaven on earth and hell can be right here - right now and they are of my own making!

No comments:

Post a Comment