Friday 6 February 2015

Born Free ....... and then?

I stood at the bus stop the other day and noticed among the assortment of people standing there two women. One wore what in truth, I may be erroneously calling a traditional burka, the other wore, what might be described in contrast of the former, more form-fitting attire - which included boots that I suppose made their debut on some fashion runway, but could also serve quite handily to wade across a stream and perhaps if you were inclined, indulge in a little "River Ran Through It" complete with fly-fishing with out having it run through, the rest of your attire. Incidentally, I'm not particularly adept in the fashion world or fishing, however I will at all times give myself license to use the world as my metaphor.

Further truth would reveal that I don't know specifically which tradition, lineage, religious observance gave rise to the burka or what it means to those who wear it.  I honour and value diversity and the innate freedom within. Having said that - what came to mind as I stood and began to ponder, was "oppression." That is to be the focus of this particular rambling.

As I said I am largely lacking in real knowing concerning the Muslim faith - though I did attend a prayer session in a Mosque in Sarajevo (the "guest" of a very gracious man I met outside while I was trying to sneak a peek inside). As was the case in the various forms of sacred observance that I had the opportunity to experience while on spiritual safari in Europe - I was very present to the energy of reverence, even when I couldn't understand the spoken language or know what was being revered. I felt a bond in our joint want, to express reverence.

Just the same, my personal acquaintance with the faith is scant and even though I don't share the viewpoint that the "idea" that the burka garment represents oppression, if for no other reason than I know squat about them, so I'm not going to go about proliferating ignorance - obviously the seed of the idea has been planted, in order for me to make even, the mental association.

To be clear a more relevant oppression for me to consider would be - what stops me from asking someone if they could share with me more about their culture ....... and the list begins, fear of offending, fear of being rejected, fear of conflict and of course I would have to at least give some nodding recognition to ways in which, "political correctness" have been taken on by me. But I wonder, what would truly be more offensive - my ongoing ignorance or a question representing my genuine curiosity brought on my a desire to understand and better know and connect?

Back to the simultaneous observation of both these individuals at the bus stop - my thoughts went very quickly to, though the "western mind-set" that might be quick to label the contrasting visual as oppression versus freedom - who says the other women was any less "oppressed." Now first of all I'm not saying either necessarily is oppressed. I'm also not denying or diminishing the truth that women (& men) are being subject to a wide array of horrendous oppression throughout the world, for nothing more than who they are and what they believe. I am not comparing West to East - men to women, one religion to another.

I am saying that it's possible the women in the western world fashion ensemble, might if asked, claim her apparel represent her freedom of expression and look to the women standing beside her as being beaten down and an example of "all that is wrong with a male dominated world." But consider, there are countless millions of advertising dollars spent on subtly and not so subtly, creating an appetite for these fashions, replete with the associated psuedo-status that is afforded, (pun intended) through the hierarchy of various branding and the corresponding escalation of ticket price. Suddenly maybe it's not so clear who the oppressed one is anymore! Though I will again acknowledge oppression has many faces some with far more grave repercussions - those that call themselves "free" particularly if done at the expense of someone else's free choice, are in a bondage they have perhaps yet to recognize.

Obviously I can't and am not, making sweeping generalizations - both women could be self-assured, empowered individuals that know who they are and what they believe and make conscious choices. Before I go any further I'm not suggesting men aren't impacted by the same marketing influences or any less likely to march to unconscious forces. To make this more personal, I certainly know of the existence and power of my unconscious, to oppress my otherwise more authentic self. Certainly it is easier to look at other forms of oppression in the world and condemn that, than to own the ways I oppress myself or defend my beliefs at the cost of another's dignity. For me I am learning to be accountable and take full responsibility for my unconsciousness, while at the same time coming to know that the only useful response, is to love myself along the way.  My journey reveals that there has been no healing at times when I continue to persecute - this applies equally within & without.

I am not drawing lines in the sand with respect to declaring name brand good or name brand bad. I'm clear that my "value" is not determined one way or the other. I'm also clear that in many cases I am of course "free" to choose the more expensive item, but it is just as likely that what I become free of, is the money it cost to acquire it - it absolutely doesn't ensure quality or longevity.

I also will point out that a flip-side expression of the same oppression could look like what might be called Thrift shop snobbery - i.e. "those fools buying the expensive clothes - silly "sheeple" I would never spend that much on a shirt!!" Rather than authentically holding up the value of being good stewards of their finances, one could be militantly upholding unconscious lack of worth, through creating illusory self-worth, by bestowing virtue upon poverty.

One might ask - is the "right" choice for the wrong reason, still the right choice? Having posed the question, I would prefer to steer clear from the "oppression" of duality - i.e. "right" "wrong" by saying many an open window - might prove to have bars and that at least for me, "freedom" and "oppression" can be exercised moment to moment.

It is less likely that I can make a choice free from my own forms of oppression, if I don't know what they look like. I'm also clear that there is a difference between making the same choices unconsciously over and over by default and what appears on the surface to be the "same choice" but, a significant transformation has occurred and therefore the choice is being made with a completely different consciousness.

Didn't somebody once say "don't judge a book by it's cover." Maybe that could be expanded to say don't judge the person by the book!?

No comments:

Post a Comment