Wednesday 5 October 2016

Heroes (Humble) Journey

Gyms aren't always the first places that spring to mind when one considers humility. Of course all gyms aren't created equally and some court a higher concentration of inflated egos along with the marvel comic (esque) physiques. While I was at the gym which is located at a public recreation centre I met a fellow that was to me both a source of inspiration and humility (not to mention gratitude).

I had noticed that while he was doing some of the various weight machines, he seemed to be having a challenge, getting his body to work in unison. It was a little like each muscle group was firing individually - rather than some providing support for others that were creating movement. The other side of his body was doing its own thing as well. I had thought that perhaps he had M.S.

At one point I was using a machine next to the one that he was using and I had finished and was wiping it down. I could see that he was speaking to me, so I removed my earbuds so that I could hear what he had to say. He was apologetically "suggesting," that if I was in need of the machine he was using that it would take him awhile to complete and that we would need to keep adjusting the weight stack back and forth.  I assured him that I wasn't in need of that specific machine, which was true. Even when I am utilizing a few pieces of equipment in a circuit fashion, if someone else wants to use one of them,  I won't tie it up and from my fitness trainer past I can always come up with an alternative exercise.

He then both proceeded to explain his situation which he said was "Chorea" (a neurologic movement disorder in the same vein with Huntington's disease) and apologize again for "disrupting my workout." Once again I interjected assurance, indicated I can always enjoy a little breather. Ordinarily I am on a mission when I go in to workout. I've usually woven it into other activities of the day, so I like to get in, get on with it and get out; so usually little or no chit chat time. I do on occasions make acceptions and this was one of those times.

He told me it's "like Huntington's" though he didn't elaborate on whether the prognosis was similar. I have cared for people with Huntington's in some of the facilities I have worked in - their future was cut significantly short. I certainly wasn't going to introduce any of that in this guys field and consciousness.  He says to me - "I'm struggling a little - I'm just getting back into it..." I know how that is! It would be so much easier to stay stopped. "I've been the better part of the last year in hospital," he tells me. "Hope you're not in a hurry to get on this machine - I'm not going anywhere fast,"

"Hey, you're going - good on ya!" "Starting back calls for a little ease and grace." "Thanks, he replies." "Don't worry, I'm not not going to let this thing get me, I'm going to beat it!"

"Alright then, I promise you I won't lie awake worried about you!" He laughed, we both agreed life calls for a great deal more laughter!!

I have no idea whether he will, "beat this thing." But I believe one hundred and ten percent that if he was going to, then his belief around that, is vitally important.

I also believe that nobody wants to be seen as "sick," that's why I sensed in the moment, I could joke with this guy and he would be okay with it (which he was). He remarked what a great facility this was and that people were so friendly. "I could go to one closer to home, but I like the atmosphere here." (again of utmost importance - if I can be allowed to generalize for the moment: people are looking for reasons not to work out - so enjoyment, convenience, atmosphere, preferred activity, etc. can easily be make or break points).

Anyway I don't know if it's a "gift" per se - but I have always just interacted with people with various challenges, without any undo focus on that challenge. If they want to talk about it - so be it. Naturally in the course of helping them there will be times when I must take their situation into account. Here at the gym, it was just two guys shooting the shit. Not him with this "condition" and me not. Sure as shit, if you looked in one of those diagnostic compendiums, you'd find they've created some syndrome or "disorder" that you could use to describe me. Unless I ever have something that calls for a specific mode of intervention; then I renounce labels. So I have, "the human condition." Challenging in various ways, at various times and eventually fatal.

Still if this guy can - with what he's contending with, get to the gym and have a positive attitude, there's precious little excuse, for me not to be able to do the same.

What a gift wellness is! How fragile it can be. I'm not suggesting anyone walk on eggshells or assume a hypochondriac mindset (there's a label for ya!)

Just before we parted ways and got on with our respective workouts this guy says - "I met this "Kiwi" recently - (this he's saying to me with an accent that I might have pegged round about, that same part of the world) turned out he's South African; anyway, the "kiwi" says to him, regarding his movements, if you had the right music on, you'd be right in sync!" He smiles as he tells me this. So I said there ya go, you just need the right sound track!! "That's it Mate," he says.

He thanked me for taking the time to chat with him and I said most sincerely, it was every bit as pleasurable and worthwhile for me.

You (which is to say "I") don't have to look far to find a hero; those performing heroic and superhuman feats.

(in case gender is implied or assumed here, I use the term "hero," to be genderless.)

No comments:

Post a Comment