Tuesday 19 February 2019

Self Portrait (Appreciation for a Path to Self-Love)



What I thought
I learned
From 
My adoption
I am
Disposable
Unwanted
Flawed
Illegitimate

What I thought
I learned
From
Attending
Catholic
Private school
As an 
Anglican
Was 
Race and Sectarian
Bullying
Hatred
Intolerance

What I thought
I learned
Picking up
The first drink
At thirteen
Was
All the pain
Went away
For the 
Next fifteen years
Whatever
The question
Drugs/alcohol
Was the answer

What I thought 
I learned
Was 
How to belong
Who I was
How to 
Override 
The abysmal shame

I thought
This was
The nectar 
Of the Gods
The key 
To Life
The answer 
To my prayers

I learned
It was 
The final 
Betrayal
It stripped
Me bare
Of anything 
That remained
That held
Even 
The potential
To be 
Valued

A full life
Review
At 
Twenty eight
Determined
The 
Self-loathing
Self-destructive
Path
Was to
Crescendo
With
Lethal
Certainty

I was
Offered
An alternative
From 
An unknown
Source

What I 
Learned
Was
I don't
Know
What 
I don't know 

Thirty plus years
Seeking
A spiritual 
Answer 

What I 
Have learned
In 
An ebb & flowing
Experience
Is 

There continues
To be:

Intolerance
Hatred
Divisiveness
Bullying
Judgment
Ignorance
Scapegoating
Denial
Vengeance 
Violence
Betrayal
Coercion
Dishonesty
Shaming
Racism
Sexism
Ageism
Exclusion
Delusion
Despair
Disconnection

From 
Within
The holy walls

In contrast
I have known:

Wonder
Ecstacy
Awe
Gratitude
Curiosity
Creativity 
Integrity
Honour
Courage
Intimacy
Authenticity
Leadership
Strength
Inclusion
Compassion
Empathy
Wisdom
Hope
Belonging
Connection

Within
The same
Holy Walls

What 
I learned

I am
Those 
Holy walls
That 
Contains
It all

Was it 
All then
For naught?

When 
All is lost
Of 
An illusory
Love
There 
Remains only
To 
Turn 
And face
My Creator

Look directly
Into 
The eyes 
Of Love

And 
Surrender
My will
And 
My life

My Creator
May you
Now take
All of me
That 
I might
Go forth
In your image
As an expression
Of your 
Love
Beginning 
With me
Directed 
By 
Your Will

Let it 
Be Done

Thank you..


R. O'Neill (Feb 19, 2019)







No comments:

Post a Comment