Saturday 17 October 2015

A "Flood" of Relief

As I'm walking I am guided/inspired to great heights by the intricate, bold and creative solo as expressed on the track "Texas Flood" by Stevie Ray Vaughn. Perhaps not the first artist or genre that one thinks of when referring to "inspirational music" if even they hold to be true the existence of it. Just the same this was the experience for me in the moment. Who is to say what defines such contributions to moments of inspiration - perhaps more widely accepted sources might be  a choir such as that featured in the Mormon Tabernacle - or Mongolian throat singers, Aaron Neville or the Webb sisters (that sing with Leonard Cohen and the rest of the musical magicians that appear with him). I've done what I can to select random examples - of course I have experienced then all, have been touched, moved and inspired at different times by all of them - my point is the source of inspiration can allow the net to be cast much further. Who can say that Stevie Ray Vaughn wasn't or isn't an avatar, a unique expression of the divinity of creation through his music - regardless of whether you "approve" of his life, his genre - Texas etc. I'll grant you - the same song on a different occasion might do little more than irritate me, however, to be fair I'm apt to be non-receptive to any input on such occasions or I'm seeking to connect nonetheless, but perhaps through a different vehicle. Fortunately creation is virtually (perhaps more accurately) limitless, in the ways it can express, which would then suggest that if I'm looking for the limiting factor to experiencing creation I need look no further than in the mirror.

In contrast I have had many deeply "connected" experiences that haven't had as vehicles of transport any form of sound per se, they were encouraged through a focus on getting increasingly more quiet. I'm certainly aware of the inherent challenge of "stillness/silence" as one that has been influenced by our western world orientation to all things external. As it happens I am naturally inclined to go "inward" - however that doesn't mean that in the ongoing quest to deepen that practice and relationship I haven't been faced with various noise of my own creation and sought in various ways an alternative to being in the company of the various ways I show up along the path to silence. Ironic wouldn't you say, that there is so much racket present while one searches for "inner peace."

The imagery I received while walking on this day was profoundly different than my orientation has likely ever been - in no small part as I felt it along with seeing it.  Contrary to my lifelong inclination to look outside myself for the source of my pain and angst (naturally with the corresponding supposition that in order for my pain to cease, the external source, quite frankly, must be extinguished along with the pain being anesthetized) - to be clear I have not "eliminated" anyone over the course of my life.  I've also not historically been successful at any ongoing relief of my pain. I most certainly have justified my behaviour in effect, as though I had no choice but to act as I did based on what occurred outside of myself.

My point is that "collective discomfort" with the silence has correlations to the individuals that comprise that collective and what they hear in the silence. In the silence I heard my own screaming - a call for my attention, a scream that could only and can only, be soothed by my own unconditional love and acceptance. No amount of attack directed toward "forces" outside myself has or will, soothe this inner scream. No one else is responsible for it. Slaying others mentally, emotionally, spiritually or physically won't bring about peace, as the scream will live on.

How is it that I can make such suppositions? Well as one song suggested "the answer my friend is blowing in the wind." May I expand my capacity to listen rather than "blow-hard." As another song invites: "Let There Be Peace on Earth" ..... "and let it begin with me."

Let it be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment