Wednesday 7 October 2015

Write-fully So!

Attention to the "craft" of writing has once again surpassed thirty consecutive days. Not of itself, unique for me - but it is part of an over all intention to keep right on writing. I wasn't born with a passion to write, at least not that I recall. As school subjects go "English" was one in which I achieved consistently good grades (without even trying) - which was a hallmark criteria for me while attending school, as for the most part, I wasn't interested in being there and certainly couldn't imagine why I would exert myself in the absence of said interest. I was an enthusiastic reader and no one ever had to hold my feet to the fire for this to occur - so perhaps these represent some natural proclivities and developmental means that have asserted themselves later in my life. Still there has been no "formal education - i.e. art's degree or journalism school (not that I haven't grasped at this very fact when in search for fodder to assail myself with to demonstrate just cause for certain failure). Nothing has changed regarding acquiring these credentials, the difference is I choose to ignore this and deepen my resolve to write.

I certainly can't predict where this intention to write will lead me, I'm sure it will be augmented by my natural curiosity about the world around me and a long-standing eye for introspection. I've also most of my life had what some might deem an intolerance for mystery. Even though this has softened some, truth compels me. Given these qualities I don't foresee ever running out of things to write about. I am therefore of the mind that as this has become my intention; I will let writing be my teacher, inspiration my invited and sacred guest. I have systematically or perhaps constitutionally run out of reasons "not to write."

The beautiful thing about this new mindset is that neither approval, "education" or even readers is necessary to write - minimally all I require is paper and a pen or pencil. In a pinch I could carve into any yielding surface, whatever it is I feel called to write. So far I've yet to encounter restricted access to writing tools From here on it is then up to me to provide the will and engage form relationship and establish harmony with, all that I encounter which interferes, erodes or disrupts that will. Am I guaranteed income, acclaim or awards? Most certainly not! Are any of the a fore mentioned reasons just cause to quit writing? Well, anything can be made to be justifiable - if my intention is to write and I derive joy and fulfillment in doing so, then these are the soul reason (pun intended) for continuance.

So far my lifestyle seems to require income so I have a need to attend to that in some fashion. As for its bearing on my choice or ability to write (along with those other factors already mentioned) - No, they are irrelevant! Even if I was to injure what is primarily my "writing hand" - "handedness" is not a deal-breaker, I am effectively ambidextrous so the show must go on!

I was born to write - through writing I can be reborn again and again. Where I once hid in reading, I am revealed newly upon the blank page, each a portal to vast new frontiers and exploration.

No comments:

Post a Comment