Thursday 28 November 2019

Transmuting Privilege


Lifetime
of
Dancing
With
The 
Hand 
I
Was dealt

Kept 
Me blind
To 
The privilege 
I
Had inherited

How 
Absolutely
A lens
Can be 
Obscured
Mired
In
Personal trauma

To be
Clear
These
Are not
To 
Become
The words
Of
Victim blaming

What 
Though, of this
Privilege?

More 
or
Less
Residing
Upon  
The spectrum
Of
White
Cis-gendered
Male

I'm 
Clear
I'm 
No knight
In shining armour
Full time
Undertaking
Is possible
Keeping
My ass
From the sling

However
I see
Ally/advocate
To 
Those that
Are oppressed
Systemically
&
Continually
Disadvantaged
&
Marginalized

As
More appropriate
Use
Of my
Privilege 
Rather than 
Clinging
To
Any illusory
Entitlement

The 
Marginalized
Frequently 
Go 
Unheard
Though
They
Lend voice
To
Pure gold

I need
More
Of the 
Privileged
To
Hear 
What 
They've 
Got to say

Then
Join
The increasing
Swell
Of
Voices
For
Equity 
&
Justice


R. O'Neill (November 28, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment