Monday 23 December 2019

Stop Before You Drop



"There's a canery, shall we shop?" No I haven't extracted a line form a Dickens manuscript. I was on my way to meet a friend, for an impromptu coffee; and had cut through an alleyway, that leads into the heart of "Victoria's" historic chinatown. The alley itself, houses an assortment of retail shops - one which apparently, is said "canery." I don't go through there on a regular basis, and though no stranger either, I had never paid attention to this shop before. At a glance, it appears to deal in (I'd presume "canes".. but I noticed mostly umbrellas. I'm going to guess that as it is a "specialty shop," therein might well be, a cross-section of "premium" merchandise; which I'm sure, wouldn't guarantee that if you got caught up, in a classic Wet-coast wind/rain tempest, that your designer brolly might still, be rendered land-fill fodder.

What really drew my attention to begin with, was the opening statement of this piece. It reverberated in the alley as being somewhat surreal. It was a man and women engaged in the discourse. He had rendered the query. For me, it hung in the air. Firstly, as I said, I wasn't aware the city had, a "canery." Of course my second point is highly subjective, but to me, what wasn't being said was, Foresooth, behold yonder canery, that our good fortune has presented this glorious opportunity, surely we must venture forth, that we might ply, the merchandise held within!!!!

Maybe if he'd sold it more along these lines, he wouldn't have been on the receiving end of an unceremonious, "What??.... uh, No!!"

I'm fully aware, that many are primed to engage in unbridled spending. Yesterday being, December 22nd, means there are a great many (lore would have it, many are said to be men) that haven't even started yet... so the no holds barred, full contact shopping, is yet to begin!! Still, I got the distinct impression, these folks hadn't come "looking" for an umbrella, a cane, or whatever else might be in there.... This was a bonafide impulse notion. Only those involved, might have any idea what the nature of the itch was, they were hoping to scratch. There again, in many cases, the tail would be wagging the dog (while the dog is "blissfully" unaware).

Upon other blocks of downtown, transactions, commerce and consumption, of a different sort transpire. A particular form of malice and scorn is reserved for the city's addicted and afflicted. How is it that this judgement differentiates, one form of addiction over another. Isn't the spending orgy known as Christmas; which involves loss of impulse control, loss of control, fiscal self-sabotage, vast over-indulgence, rising debt-load, credit card abuse, alcohol abuse; just a complex, multi-layered socially sanctioned form of, a myriad of addictions?

My answer is yes! I've personal life experience with addictions (in various forms), so I'm not speaking from any moral high ground. For one thing, I don't consider addiction to be a question of morality. My outing it as such (not that it is a "you're hearing it first" revelation) begs the question how is this selective judgment justified and even sustainable?

Am I, just like the "self-righteous" former addict (insert here, addiction/s of choice)? I would maintain that I am not! But I would suggest, that nobody knows the futility of over-indulgence more, than someone that has had the good fortune, to survive it.

In two days time, when the first thing that comes across everyone's lips that one encounters is, "Was Santa good to you?" Which loosely translated means, where are you on the social-economic, geo-political scale... the "value" of your "haul," being equated with your success and/or "value" in society.  ("oh you indeed are "loved" to no end!") Nobody really cares or is listening, your inventory will lull them back, into the same numbed out state they embodied, when they were shopping. (of course this assumes you are among those, privileged enough to have received, and/or actually choose to participate).

Time will tell, what the response will be - when I inform any that might ask; "I gave "Santa" the year off, I don't need anything, I don't actually want anything - so go put your feet up and relax, or devote that time and energy, to someone that really needs support. 

I'm on the consumption wagon! Does it matter, that I have engaged full tilt in the past? No it does not! Not to me anyway. Because I have, doesn't mean it must continue. I may never grow hair again, but I assure you, I can, do and will continue, to change!

I considered taking in the "spirit" of something of it all,  after coffee last evening. The city square I'd heard, was all lit up and there was to be something going on, with respect to "lighting the Menorrah" to commence Hanukah .....

Well the square was "lit up" all right! It actually hurt my eyes to look at it. There were throngs of people, music blaring.... Not my scene! All of this, super-imposed on a time of year (Winter Solstice) that is given to quiet reflection and introspection.. In my estimation, the "return of the light..." should not scorch ones retina..... More excess!! "Tradition," transmuted by social agreement, to be another in a series of extremes, that can be worn as a badge, when the "holiday" apocalypse has subsided; and exhausted, further indentured city-dwellers, regale one another, with tales of over-indulgence, that they were compelled to participate in, while harmonizing in unison: "Thank God it's over for another year!!


R. O'Neill (December 23, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment