Thursday 22 September 2011

Seaside Theatre

As the light recognized it's now tenuous hold upon the day I perched myself upon the rocks which themselves disappeared into and were nearly entirely surrounded by the sea. I took time to exchange my energy from the day at work, which had only moments ago completed and allowed the peace and tranquility to be absorbed as I listened to the steady rhythm of the tide kissing the shoreline below.

I waited in anticipation for what figured to be a dazzling display made possible by an unseasonably clear October evening, which provided the ideal canvas for the artistry of the setting sun. It was to be a command performance; I had "soul" possession of this front row seat.

The moon hovered at stage left preparing to take the lead role as celestial master of ceremonies once the sun had relinquished centre stage. The air was still, yet brisk; the view across the straight was unencumbered, allowing every detail of the snow-capped peaks to be visible. The show began without fanfare, the curtain opening to reveal a formation of feathered aviators, unconcerned by the approaching darkness, winging their way to points unknown.

The sun no longer visible, having now quietly slid behind the horizon cued the performance to begin. The amphitheatre came alive with visual splendor. Wispy clouds previously undetectable came a glow, the brilliance of the various shades, which embraced the heavens, commanded attention as the mountains in the foreground were reduced to silhouette.

Not about to be outdone, the moon, a day or two from it's full spherical form cast it's light upon the waters surface which unfolded before me a luminescent path which extended an invitation to journey from current reality to dreams yet unrealized.

Cutting through the darkness the lights cast from the homes of distant inhabitants sparkled like stardust cast from the surrounding heavens, sprinkled knowingly to illuminate the distant horizon so not to be entirely lost to the indigo presence of dusk.

The air temperature, which only moments ago enveloped with warm loving arms, soon presented as the chill of a lover spurned. The trembling of my body as it attempted to fend off the penetrating cold only added to the sensual feast that by now I was devouring with sheer delight.

The sun though long since invisible insured it would not soon be forgotten as it hurled skyward a seemingly endless variety of the most intense colours which altered moment to moment across the blackened skyline.

The water remained calm and still as though held in rapture by the spectacle unfolding above.

As the last of mother natures infinite palette drained from the night sky the curtain closed bringing with it the darkness of night abbreviated only by a blanket of stars shining brightly reminding me of the infinite scope of the universe and humbling me as I considered my place within it.

As I bid goodnight to both stage & performers and made my way back across the beach my thoughts turned to enjoying a hot chocolate while I pondered had I just been spectator, participant or co-creator?

No comments:

Post a Comment