Friday 4 March 2016

Judge Not Lest You be Judged

A week or so ago I was busking in an area of Victoria known as James Bay; in front of the liquor store in the "village." I had only been there a short while when a fellow I've come to know from that neighbourhood arrived. I first met him sometime ago in the same neighbourhood, he sells a magazine called "Megaphone" which is a street magazine that is both sold by homeless and low-income folks and features content that highlights the lives, stories and creative expression of many who lives are impacted by these same challenges. The magazine is based in Vancouver but as it has gone on locally, to replace a previous paper from our city that folded, it does have a Victoria presence as well.

He had always been a positive presence in the neighbourhood - we had coffee together a few times on the benches on the block. I didn't see him around for quite awhile and then not so long ago he had returned to his usual spot, but he was know in a wheel chair having had one of his legs amputated below the knee; due to a chronic infection that got in the bone. Naturally he was adjusting to this new reality, but he talked optimistically about his leg healing and getting fit with a prothesis. He continued to be a positive presence on the block, he is well known to many in the area ,and always has a cheery welcome for everyone.

Fast forward to this time I saw him again more recently and the story he tells me is not so bright. He tells me he's been drinking again and had some issues with his previous apartment (which may have been alcohol related - however I didn't press him for details). He certainly was looked more haggard than his usual appearance. He tell me he was seeing his doctor regularly (who was naturally encouraging him to stop drinking again) to not do so, would compromise the clearing of a post-operative infection (a short-term consequence) the longer term results could be far more dire and complicated.

Despite all of this he was excited to show me the new edition of the magazine and opened it to show me one of the articles. The magazine regularly features stories on the various vendors and he was in the current issue. He really wanted me to read his story. Though as I said, I have talked to him on various occasions I had no idea what he had been through. He was originally from Afganistan - he left as a young man to escape mandatory military service (in his words, he didn't want to become part of his countries killing machine) he managed to get out of the country and went to India. Through some friends there he learned of life in Canada and found a way to immigrate as refugee (knowing that he would have been severely punished if he returned to his homeland). I believe he lived in Montreal for a period of time before coming out here. Various health issues landed him on a disability pension.

He apparently has a line on a new apartment beginning this month so this would get him out of shelters etc. (where he has been apparently wearing thin, his welcome). I also learned when I further read the article, that he is trying to raise money through some sort of non-profit arrangement to support some of his family back home. I have not seen him since to find out more about this.

As I was preparing to go, he asked me if I could go into the liquor store and buy him a six-pack of beer. All kinds of paradigms, attitudes and judgements flashed through my mind in seconds. What I came up with according to my consciousness was as follows: all the sources I have encountered with regard to spirituality/personal growth etc. suggests that each has their unique gifts and to utilize these gifts in service to others is the highest form of fulfillment. He didn't ask for my judgement, he deserves the dignity of his own choices (without value criticism, lectures on morality or even further control and criticism (disguised as "advice on wellness") I would really like to see him restore his state of health - but that is not my business. If I had walked his journey maybe I'd be looking for a beer now too.

When Jesus, Francis of Assisi or Mother Teresa showed up in service of the poor, the sick, the bereaved - they didn't concern themselves with whether they were "enabling" this person, there was no judgment as to whether the individual was worthy of their love and service. There was no denying someone this attention because of social caste, religion, gender,  etc. Someone with leprosy was not faulted for having this infliction and therefore ignored. He called me to be of service and so I provided him with that service. Of course I have concern for the well-being of my friend - but I have no idea what his soul-journey is about; even though I have a intimate knowledge of addiction. I believe that to offer him unconditional love will be of far greater benefit - regardless of whether he stops drinking or not. Of course there would be plenty that would argue this was not in his best interest - I wrestled with it myself. I believe preserving his dignity and freedom of choice were of more importance than anything that could be accomplished through treating him in a paternalistic manner.

For anyone that reads my blog in Victoria - if you happen to be in James Bay around the liquor store on Menzies, please consider buying a magazine from this gentlemen. If you want - let me know and I will reimburse you for the cost. Buy all he has - I will find places to distribute them to help raise awareness of the issues discussed within. If and when I find out more about his fund-raising efforts I may feature that in another blog and be looking for creative ways to support him.

No comments:

Post a Comment