Sunday 6 March 2016

Played Them a Song - I was the Guitar Man

Today, in a manner of speaking, two of my "worlds" collided. Before explaining myself I just realized it's actually three worlds, because now I'm writing about the other two. I had worked a shift at a residential care facility yesterday. A women (one of the regular full-time care-assistants) who knew of my guitar playing, asked if I would be working the next day and if so; "I should bring in my guitar and sing for the residents." As it turned out I got a shift today, so I decided I would go ahead and play some music.

It had been quite sometime ago that she and I were talking and she had mentioned "loving to sing" - I said, "well hey, you should go out and do some busking!" She laughed and quipped "Ya right - things haven't got that bad!" When I told her I was serious, and that I frequently "performed" around town, she quickly reversed herself and replied, " you really do that, wow that's great!"

I didn't take her original attitude toward busking to heart - I'm well aware that many people see it as a measure for those that are "down & out." If not echoing those mind-sets, it also reflects a societal attitude around what constitutes a legitimate income source and a diminishing in value, of the "arts" and creative expression (which is prevalent except of course for those that are afforded "celebrity" status). Yes, there are some street performers that are supporting their drug and alcohol addiction which raises the hackles of moral judgment, but has nothing to do with the talents of some of these same musicians etc. Many individuals have practiced for years honing their skills and literally take their show on the road all over. Anyway, I digress - I have a great deal of fun playing in the streets maybe it will never go anywhere beyond that. Even if that were true, I know from the direct reflections of various people that have stopped to tell me so, it bring many people, moments of joy! I don't think it gets much better than that - I am doing something that brings me great joy and touching others with that joy. (Combine that with my joy of writing and now I have Joy to the power of 3).

Yesterday evening once I both knew I had a shift for today and had "decided" to bring in my guitar; I started to second guess myself. This would be the first time I have brought one of my passions into the open forum of one of my "work environments" and though I understand I'm not "what I do" - I do believe I bring who I am, to what I do (which includes the care of those residents) and I was concerned about "exposing myself." More consideration of the matter allowed me to recognize that this was a golden opportunity to share one of my gifts and in fact was a gift to me as well. So gratefully I got over myself and went through with it.

I've played in front of people dozens and dozens of times by now - this was a little different. We used what is normally the residents dining area and combined the "event" with their afternoon tea. One of the differences was, while busking some people are very attentive, many are absorbed in their own thoughts and pay little or no attention. There is also (depending on location while busking) the noise of traffic and sirens etc.) Here I had the luxury of everyones rapt attention. It took me a song or two to "adapt"with respect to volume - as I'm used to singing over all the ambient noise of the city.

I remember years ago peers of mine joking about what it would be like when we were all in nursing homes - sitting around listening to 60's & 70's rock/pop/folk songs. This afternoon's performance gave me a little more live presentation of what that might look like. It was great to see the residents more animated, many were singing along, or tapping a hand or foot. There's no question the (what amounted to maybe a forty minute performance) raised the energy in that place significantly!

Toward the latter part of my singing a women showed up and started digging music books out of the piano bench (I hadn't been told that anyone else would be there to entertain). Turned out she was there to oversee the residential church service (which apparently happens a couple times a month). Humility prevented me from telling her - "hey these folks have already been to church!" After all, they had just elevated their spirits while they "Imagined" came "Back Home Again" wandered "Country Roads" proclaimed themselves "King of the Road" climbed the alpine slopes in order to embrace the "Edelweiss" and finished with a rousing round of "Hallelujah" - how are you going to top that?

Of course I didn't say this - I honour her for being there and what she represents to those that attend her gathering is every bit as sacred as what I hold dear to my heart.

As I was putting my guitar away and getting ready to leave, many of the residents came forward and thanked me and exclaimed how great it was to not only have the music, but to "see another side of me." I must say it was delightful to share another side of me & the icing on the cake was, I was being paid my "regular wage" for doing it.

Another real time opportunity to experience Joesph Campbell's "bliss following" suggestion. It's a good thing - a very good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment