Sunday 21 August 2016

Test Your "Metal!"

"I am Iron Man!" Now that I have your attention, while you wonder, is he going to muse about "Black Sabbath" or Ozzie Osbourn or even the song itself? I might, now that it has come up. The original inspiration came via a new pair of sunglasses I got today; which happen to be brand "IronMan." A line of eyewear that is spawned through the Iron Man event a full triathlon which is owned by the "World Triathlon Corporation." As an aside the event consists of a 2.4-mile (3.86 km) swim , a 112-mile (180.25 km)bicycle ride and a marathon 26.22-mile (42.20 km) run. I have no idea if anyone that competes in these events actually wears these products; I suppose some pros are given some to wear for promotion purposes. In my case, they were on sale for 40% off; this is definitely a good time of year to purchase sunglasses!

I've historically been hard on sunglasses; sitting on them, dropping them, putting them down while shopping to look at something and then walking away; so I don't tend to spend much money on them. I also have about zero concern for "brand loyalty;" I see it largely as a way to extract more money from a given wallet than a true testimonial about quality. Most certainly, it has nothing to do with the inherent "value" of the individual. Comfort and functionality that works for me, that's it.

When I stepped out the door with the new shades on; the song that sprang to mind was, "I Can See Clearly Now........" This was not entirely due to the new glasses, but also because I was sporting a new contact lens as well. My vision of the world was nothing short of stunning! I have long been wearing an older pair of prescriptions glasses and then on sunny days some clip on shades. It was a joy to have clear vision; without the added weight of glasses upon glasses. It felt so free.

What then of this "Iron Man" association? Well I'm pretty clear I'm not going to prepare for and compete in, this event.  As I write this I have just completed a week of stepped up intensity workouts (for just my general well-being) and five days of working at the care facility and though I know exercise works on a stress the body/rest the body/rebuild the body cycle; I was feeling a little more like "lead in the ass man!" My version of a "triathlon" would be more like; I'm "running late," so I'll "ride my bike" to the pool.

I then began to consider the idea of Iron Man as a metaphor. I looked over the lyrics of the old Black Sabbath song and read the article pertaining to the song on Wikipedia.  The song in it's hay-day would hail from a time in my life; when though still a music enthusiast - I rarely paid much attention to the lyrics. I had no idea what they were singing about in this song. Whether the metal band of yore intended it or not - I see themes of rejection/humiliation and anger/rage/retribution. Perhaps that is because these are familiar themes from various parts of my life.

I can certainly attest that, in order to "see clearly" these various patterns and emotional imprints and the way they are operating in ones life; takes nothing short of an "Iron Man" resolve (or Wonder Woman). Accolades for heroic effort ought not just be reserved for "Ultra-athletes" and comic book super heroes. It takes herculean focus and strength; to heal the want to dole out retribution to others (and ultimately self) for real or perceived past hurts. To do so is not about "the accolades" it is in order to step on the podium and receive the award of their true authentic self. To get there may take years of slogging through the happenstance of ones life - without ever "running, cycling or swimming."

I'm not taking anything away from those men and women that do compete in those events. They have most certainly honed various qualities like commitment, tenacity, strength, endurance, valour to remarkable levels.

All I'm saying is that for every man and women whether they have a specific goal in mind or they are currently just doing what they need to do to face another day; there ought to be more recognition that the world is vastly inhabited with heroes/heroines.

So now rather than just donning my pair of "Cheap Sunglasses" - I can see that logo take stock of my life and where and when necessary, find within and embody, that Iron Man.

Speaking of "heavy metal" and super humans, I wonder if there has ever been a metal song penned about forgiveness? Now there's some heavy lifting! Mettle

No comments:

Post a Comment