Sunday 4 September 2016

Musical Musings

A sun soaked Sunday; combined with cycling to my all my various destinations today, was like music to my ears. Though the previous statement is patently true; what wasn't made clear, was that there also was, "music to my ears." Sometime ago now, I lost my portable MP3 player and though I thoroughly enjoy music - most any kind;  I didn't go about replacing it until this weekend. Due to ongoing efforts to generally simplify, I also no longer had anything in the way of a stereo. All my music still resided on my laptop; but I really didn't enjoy listening to it on the tinny sounding little speaker. (first world problem ..... I know).

I now have a new iPod and a small blue-tooth speaker. I love to ride my bike; wind in the face, sights and sounds up close and personal. Today was the perfect temperature, we did have "a cooling trend" toward the end of August. In fact I remember recalling regarding my birthday; (August 28) it used to present as a "mixed blessing" as it was of course, my birthday; but it also meant the end of summer and return to school. (clearly, I wasn't one that was excited about that prospect).  Right on cue my birthday rolls around and not only did it cool off but we got rain. That's the first precipitation in quite sometime. And then it appeared as though the grey, cooler (intermittently wet) weather was getting a hand-hold.

Today the sun was out, devoid of that "dog-days" intensity and accompanied by what to me is the optimal in temperance; some cool air that hinted at the approaching autumn. Contrary to those that long for those "hot summer nights;" my whole being is enraptured in the cooler climes of spring and fall and the hub-seasons.

Combine with that,  a mixed bag of music (iPod on random shuffle) and it's nothing short of sublime. At those times when some epic orchestral overture kicks in; I feel as though I'm unstoppable. It's like being airborne (recall E.T. riding across the sky, silhouetted by the moon).

It's such a joy to have my "playlist" back! There's so much music on there, I have never heard it from beginning to end - so it pretty much always has the ability to delightfully surprise me with something new.

For me this has nothing to do with "consumerism." Of course I did cue up at a local retail outlet. For me this is restoring something in my life that brings me such pleasure; music uplifts me, inspires me, holds me and never fails to meet me, where I'm at. Having said all that, I wasn't willing to throw myself under the bus financially; to replace my gadgetry. So I waited for the time, "to be right."

 This was a great reminder to honour myself through the things that bring me immense pleasure. Is that "self-indulgent?" Well it certainly "serves" self; that in itself, is way of being in the world that has taken quite a beating. There still exists a meme that imprints with the idea of "self-sacrificing" and the needs of others always being place first (it is thus proclaimed virtuous). The thing is this idea taken to extremes becomes "self-abandonment" and is a fertile ground for breeding resentment.

One can have what they want; that which they enjoy, and still be of service to others. First of all it might just inspire someone that has constantly been willing to accept the short-end of the stick to reach for "more stick." In keeping with this theme of music restoration (or expansion) I also bought a ukulele yesterday. I sat outside a local coffeeshop just around the corner from where I had purchased the uke. Aside from two or three chord positions that I remember from grade seven music class; I have no idea, how to play a ukulele. I just sat there with my muffin - strumming, plucking and finger-picking my way around the neck; allowing it to "teach me something." Then literally a few bars of George Harrison's "Something" flowed. I was both entirely absorbed in what I was doing and entirely somewhere else, all at once. When one of the coffeeshop employees brought me my tea; I thanked her and she actually thanked me. It hadn't really occurred to me that I was doing anything for which someone else was grateful for. After all, I had just sat down with this instrument - I hadn't considered that anyone else might enjoy my "noodling."  I guess someone sitting outside the shop; enjoying plucking out some tunes, provides some visual and auditory benefit. So then, even though I'm doing something that is specifically pleasurable for me, others receive benefit also.

If one can hold to be true that we are all connected (that there is no separation) then naturally, my joy is your joy. The opposite is also true, everyone has been "served" by someone that; at best, present as being in a "bad mood," at worst; they really don't like what they are doing, but they are forcing themselves to do it.

So I'm not talking about a hedonistic existence that doesn't consider the needs of others at all. But neither am I advocating complete self-neglect. A principle that could be an influencing factor while "plotting a course" might be; "do no harm." (which includes to one's self as well). I just wonder, if more people spent more time, energy and focus on things that they enjoyed how might that shape their day to day interaction and relating? Wouldn't there be less need to "escape" and therefore less unconsciousness?

A hint may be held within the idea/teaching: "you reap what you sow." If considered from that light then, it may behoove one to spend more time being aware of what they are sowing?

No comments:

Post a Comment