Tuesday 6 September 2016

Ride On!

Along with the leaves beginning their techno-colour transformation and daylight hours dwindling; incase you weren't sure autumn looms imminent; I got up early this morning and retrieved the quilt off the floor along side my bed and the electric fan has been returned to the storage locker.

In keeping with the seasons in transitions I wore a light fleece pull-over layer for my bike ride to the recreation centre; while it seems just a week or so ago, I was riding/walking there in a sleeveless shirt. After some maintenance for me in the gym I took the time to give my bike a little TLC at the centre's bike care station. I suspected that the extra effort I was required to exert lately was due to low tire pressure. Of course part of the point of riding is to get exercise; however there are plenty enough hills around Greater Victoria to kick up the intensity as desired, without making it more difficult with under inflated tires.

Once I had topped up both tires to around 100 psi. I was on my way. What a difference! It's like a completely different bike(ride). The softening of the tires is an insidious process (unless you were to encounter a nail in the cycling lane - now where would that come from?) So gradually, almost unnoticeably, there is more resistance created by the soft tires and one is working way harder than they need to. I suppose, if they were to be allowed to get excessively soft, then you run the risk of damaging both tires and rims. So then, to avoid unnecessary premature repair bills and to keep the ride optimally enjoyable, a little routine maintenance is called for.

Yup you guessed it; this would be the segue from cycling anecdote to life metaphor cue. I believe you could apply this to most any area of one's life.  Just like the bike you can keep right on riding on those soft tires; it doesn't just suddenly render the bike inoperable. But eventually the lack of maintenance will take its toll. Take nutrition as one example, you won't just up and die if you eat junk food. However, if this is a habitual practice; it can contribute to low energy, weight-gain, can be a contributing factor to various disease processes and generally can lessen ones quality of life. Conversely a diet that is predominantly healthy can most certainly be a contributing factor for a life packed with vitality and zeal. (note: I said factor, not a magic bullet in & of itself).

To confirm what I already suspected regarding my tires - I lifted the bike up and hung it in the maintenance rack. This allowed me to more closely assess the tires. So it is with those various aspects of ones life. A closer examination might be required to determine why the lack-lustre undesirable results have become the "norm." Could be that complacency has been allowed to slowing creep in (just like that gradual tire softening); the next thing you know you're working way harder for mediocrity. I left the recreation centre feeling most self-satisfied. After all I rode to the centre, exercised, took care of my bike and was going to continue riding to my next destinations.

Interesting to note, I can't think that I have ever encountered the bike racks being full; however the automobile parking lot can often be nearly filled to capacity. Just observing the irony - not an indulgence in judgment or self-righteousness. Okay, occasionally I find myself "going there;" I do my best to nip it in the bud, and just be grateful that at this time, I am able to enjoy cycling (I am not the gold-standard).

The next stop after all this morning maintenance was to the food court at the mall for a snack; I had most certainly worked up an appetite. I chose a nutritious smoothie and tuna wrap which I was happy to be able to enjoy at an outdoor table.

Somewhere along the line as I'm enjoying some music and my lunch, the idea to continue with some more cycling presents itself. Even it I were to just return home it was a foregone conclusion "there would be more cycling." No, this wasn't that at all, the idea began to percolate that I ride from the mall to a local "mountain" in the area and enjoy the view, maybe meditate a little; in general just relish in day without obligations and a pleasant respite from a couple of days with intermittent showers. The location (Mount Tommie) is not very far from the mall (I don't know, maybe 5K including the road up the mountain). I felt all fortified by all that had transpired this morning and was looking forward to the reward of the view from the top.

The thing is, the visualization and anticipation of that view, does diddly-squat to get you to the top. That will only be achieve with some leg-generated pedal power and taxing of the cardiovascular system. As I said earlier Victoria has a fair amount of hilly streets. No matter where you might be going you will encounter a hill somewhere in the route (unless you go well out of your way to avoid it).  The longer approach road had numerous gently sloping ups and downs. This led to the road that would take me to the "park" entrance. This access road is quite a significant uphill grade. Great, I'm having to ride uphill to get to the mountain road; upon which, I will be required to ride uphill; some more.

Today's experience tells me that while I am making progress at the gym; I can feel some increases in strength on many exercises; this isn't necessarily translating directly into my cycling stamina. If I want to indulge in spontaneous rides with varied intensity components; I had better begin to more specifically train, for said rides. The other thing is those "IronMan" sunglasses I mentioned in a blog post a little while ago; aren't worth sweet tweet when it comes to powering up a mountain. Though I was sporting those very glasses - they didn't suddenly transform me into Victoria's answer to Lance Armstrong. Though their wrap-around style could come in handy; if I should I happen to break into tears half-way up the mountain. At least I'd be "incognito!"

As it happened there were no tears - though there was considerable sweat in my eyes. Coincidentally, a steady flow of perspiration in the eyes, feels much like crying anyway. I figured the worst case scenario, I end up walking my bike up the hill. But then, something else took over, "There's no way I'm walking up this hill, I came here to ride up and that's what I'm going to do!!" (who the hell is that - and who invited him anyway?)

When I got to the park entrance (having ridden the hill to the hill) I stopped there to catch my breath and have a drink of water. I should have remembered from my running days - all the distance and speed intervals etc. don't prepare you for hills (in fact it is the other way around - a day of hill training /wk not only builds some chutzpah for running hills, it gives you extra power and endurance to run the flat roads as well). Hills, are there own special variety of hell!! (I can still hear one of the run leaders from a group I used to participate with, "hills are our friends" - was her mantra. My retort, f....off Barb, and "with friends like this, who needs enemies?"

As it turned out - I took three more "rest intervals" on my way up the mountain. I did hold to my resolve and didn't walk, each time I started again, I rode; until my heart was once again pounding in my throat, my lungs felt ready to explode and my legs turned to jello. Despite the apparent physiological shortcomings I made the summit. It was as I was leaning on the perimeter railing having just locked my bike up; that I realized I had never "ridden" up here before. I had always been in a car. That made the view that much sweeter. The air was fresh, there was a nice cool breeze. The sun was for the moment, behind a patch of clouds; so the temperature up there was most pleasing to my work-ladened body, so refreshing!!

I looked down the bank and decided I wanted to be there so I could sit and be away from all the parked cars (again that repeating theme, cars far outnumbering cyclist - in fact I was the only one). Not surprising - it's not exactly just a "walk in the park," even though it is a ride in the park.

Again as in life, it is my experience that the good stuff is always on the other side of the fence (which is not to say the "grass is always greener.....) I mean outside the lines, on the other side of the walls, that's where life's sweet nectar resides!!! So under the railing I go....... Well except I had my back pack on and nearly got myself wedged between the railings. Okay then .... retraction, the sweet nectar of life is on the other side of the railing, once you take your back pack off so that you can slip through!

I made my way down to the slope and found myself a perfect little seat-like rock outcropping and there I sat. Oh I almost forgot to mention, before I went through the railings I saw the tiniest little baby bunny. So for the record, baby bunnies don't just present at Spring ("Easter") apparently they are quite oblivious to the calendar and arrive when they are good and ready (though this one could have fit in a "Kinder egg."

As I sat on the hillside I enjoyed watching dozens of crows riding the air currents and putting on quite a display of aerial ballet. Then as I laid back and absorbed some of the warmth of the sun that broke through the clouds, two hummingbirds shot skyward from the canopy of a small oak tree. What amazing creatures they are!  Looking out across the straits I could see the Port Angeles ferry making its journey over. After a quick look away; when I returned my gaze to try and relocate the ferry, it had disappeared into the haze (as though it had been swallowed whole).

A three hundred and sixty degree view demonstrated clearly the different weather zones around the Greater Victoria area. Some were ceilinged with a clear blue sky, other regions veiled in a thin myst; others still, where shrouded in dark clouds and appeared to perhaps be getting rain. As this darkened region seemed to be consuming more real estate and coming in my general direction I decided to end my mountainside vigil.

The ride down the mountain was exhilarating! I decided to "go out of my way" with the selection of my route home; so as to avoid any further hills. I'd had ample "rewards" for one day. This was not the Tour de France - just an afternoon bike ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment