Friday 9 December 2016

Miracles - Belief Outside the Box

On my way to the coffee shop to commence this current instalment; I had a flash of inspiration for the opening theme - however that train of thought left the station & I'm still on the platform. It's a little bit like I was at station 9 3/4 and I ran at wall, the idea got through, however I'm taking five on my keister.

No matter - there's always another train. So then.....

Does the universe experience pressure? I don't mean the variety that compresses decayed plant matter into "a girl's best friend." Or that which is released in Super Nova's or forms mountains while dividing continents. What I am referring to is what with all the expectation for "seasonal miracles"- is the universe lamenting: "Jiminy Cricket" I'm overwhelmed with this Christmas preparation - everyone wants a miracle.........

You might wonder, would the all powerful, omnipotent, infinitely intelligent force "behind" the universe, actually utter - Jiminy Cricket? Well you might recall, he was known to be in the habit of wishing upon a star. So clearly the cricket and the universe, had history. One verse alone from that classic song yields:

"If your heart is in your dream
No request is too extreme
When you wish upon a star as dreamers do"

It would seem the universe can and will take it in stride. But, it was just a kids show, not even a real cricket..... (I can hear the arguments) - somebody had to write those lyrics.... What do you suppose they were based on? There are all sorts of supporting passages in numerous "wisdom texts" - so maybe not just a Disney blockbuster?

A passage from a reading on Native American Animal Teachings (Cricket): "If a cricket crosses your path, it is a sign of extremely good luck. All the things you have been working toward and dreaming  about are now possible."

Bah Humbug..Coincidence!! (retorts the miracle resistors). Humbug you say....  recall if you will the bonding power of a plateful of humbugs..... forget "crazy glue" - now there's some miraculous adhesion and damned if they don't taste great too!

A couple of passing thoughts regarding "miracles." If I don't believe in the possibilities, I can push them right out of my experience. The other thing is.... though I happen to believe miracles are happening, all day every day (not just through the month of December) it might be useful to spread the vision and associated expectations over the entire year - you won't save the universe any "strain," however, for yours truly..... (no not me..... you!) the relief might be considerable.

While I'm on the topic of miracles, a couple evenings ago I was to meet for coffee - my former wife and a niece of ("ours"). The former I have interacted with intermittently throughout the time we have been out of wedlock. She stayed connected to my parents right up to and through their passing, I have met her new partner on a number of occasions - she is driving me to the ferry to begin my adventure. The niece I have not seen much through the eight years since the "separation." There is no right or wrong here - this is how it went; it was a joy to see her again. Her brother was to be there as well, but he was detained up-island. He's one of the "on-air personalities" on a radio station up there. They had been doing a food hamper drive all day and when it came time to finish - the truck that had been provided, by one of the local rental agencies, to collect all the food malfunctioned. The back door wouldn't close so they couldn't leave, because they now had a truckload of food.

We have made arrangements for another gathering in the New Year after I return. My nephew was recently in Scotland/Ireland, my niece is going to Guam over Christmas and of course, I'm about to embark on a journey to Slovenia/Ireland - so we will have many travel stories to exchange.

I was in the village early where we were to meet for coffee (even after having dinner) so I decided to walk down to the waterfront. It was a beautiful still evening. Clear skies and accompanying, frosty temperatures. It was an opportunity to enjoy what snowfall remained; each footfall a sensual delight of crunchiness.

The lights from Port Angeles (across the Salish Sea) were fully visible; the sky was saturated with stars. I offered prayers of thanks to the ancestors of these lands - invited them to join ranks with my ancestors; as we journey to the sacred lands of my clan. I walked down to the beach from the lookout platform and was inspired to stand in the water just of the shoreline. Why you ask? It was right & perfect at the time - those same boots might well find themselves standing off the shoreline, on the Northern Ireland coastline.. I don't know, it could happen.

The following evening I attended a Christmas open house at the law office - where my family estate was mediated. I could have easily decided "it's not my scene," and to some degree that's true. However, it was a chance to step outside of my "comfort zone" and just go and experience being. It was a perfectly enjoyable gathering - the catered food was awesome!! I had a nice chat with the lawyer who had represented me - it was healing to be back there, having moved on from the "negotiations" and just chatting about our respective trips. I took the opportunity to sound her out about my need for a will. Oh, to be sure I have a will - however, I don't have a will (at least a current one). So that's a conversation for next year. Everyone was offered a bottle of wine as a parting gift - I don't drink, so initially I'm thinking, I can graciously decline that. Then I was "reminded" - you've got a staff Christmas lunch to go to (with a gift exchange) - I'll have a bottle of the white thanks!!

The staff lunch was fun - they sat us at the enclosed patio area, which features a beautiful brick fire place in the centre. What better way to generate festive season warmth. The recipient of the bottle of wine was happy with her gift. We all had a good laugh as, even though I had looked at the bottle (out of curiosity - frankly I know squat about wine) however, I hadn't noticed, that also in the same bag was one of the law practices "rack-cards."I had just creatively twisted the bag closed, attached a candy cane with festive red electrician tape and put the whole thing in some random gift bag, I had in the closet.

From lunch I was meeting another friend for coffee, however I had a couple of hours (and a bus to catch) before our meeting time. While I was waiting for the bus I saw one of the local "street magazine vendors" near the stop. He also had for sale their annual calendar "Hope in Shadows" - I decided to pick one up. Certainly I'm no stranger to shadows - you can spin that anyway you like!

The theme struck a chord for me - I happen to know and believe, that the shadows reveal unending potential and reason for hope. The caveat would be, not to remain mired in, nor to ignore the shadow; but to bring to it, the light, along with zeal and great gusto. I am a stand for hope. When the call came to "drain the swamp" it was hope that drew me forward, albeit cautiously at first, but nonetheless resolutely. I'm proud to have that calendar grace my wall.

Earlier this year another vendor had asked if, while I was busking he could take my picture (to submit for a contest for pictures for that very calendar). We (which is I suppose, to say I) didn't make the cut. He doesn't seem to hold that against me!

Maybe through the grace of that all intelligent universe - when I've been praying on all those stars - the light has finally over-taken the shadow, all in all - a pretty good problem to have I'd say. The truth is - I ain't no pin-up guy; and I'm infinitely okay with that.

Me and my concealed six-pack may never reach "heavenly body" status; however, I know miraculous blessings are unfolding around me constantly. Thank my lucky stars for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment