Friday 9 November 2018

Have You Got the Time?

As I'm momentarily reminded of time, the clock on the main floor of my "Bed & Breakfast" having just  struck six; this marks now some unbeknownst to me, period of time, that I have been back in Ireland.

I can't even begin to translate the time I was on the west coast of Canada, then a shuttle, to a plane, to another location in Canada; where by the time I walked from the gate I arrived at, to the gate I would once again depart from (it was "time" to depart) - apparently for that window of "time" my "smart" phone made the necessary adjustment - I on the other hand was otherwise occupied. At this point in time... I will release concern for time.

I arrived here sometime yesterday & just kept right on going, despite being a walking embodiment of sleep depravation. Disembarking from the bus in town (Dundalk) was like coming home - I have spent appreciable time here over the last couple years (having made it "home base" for some of my Ireland exploration). It is both familiar and not. The time I have been here, I have mostly inhabited the town centre and enjoyed the localized freedom of being a pedestrian. It wouldn't take me but a turn or two, before I was in unknown territory and for a "time" ...... Lost.

I have had the use of a car at other times - and may rent one at some point on this journey, but right now I can manage without one.

My time here will be part personal ancestral discovery, reconnection and familiarization, part spiritual pilgrimage, writing retreat and for good measure; a side, of focus on person wellness (not that the afore mentioned aren't contributing factors to that as well).

I was given a reprieve for my arrival, by which I mean spared from any November in-climate weather. Today was an entirely different story - as is true of most any "today," you'd care to mention.
First of all, though I went to bed at a reasonably early time (local time 10:30p.m.) I was awake again at 3:00 a.m. - then I counted "4 bells" from the clock down stairs. All this despite intentionally walking what that smart aleck phone of mine; recorded as 15, 569 steps (9.2 km). I reasoned regardless of what time it is, or what my body believes of it - I will be good and tired and sleep. Well smart phones are not as smart as they're made out to be, and despite feeling great to walk after sitting for hours on end on transportation conveyances, my body couldn't have cared less what the clock read, nor that it was pitch black - I was awake.

I was determined to get in sync with the local time rhythms, what was it that was said about "best laid plans.....?

Anyway I stayed in bed, and dozed or something like that...... then the next thing I became aware of was it was 10:30 a.m. (which handedly put me out of the running for the 7:30a.m. - 9:30 a.m. breakfast service window). In hindsight it's possible had I gone and talked to someone, I'm guessing something might have been made possible - but I guess you could say, I'm a living contradiction. Sometimes I'm only to happy to "bend" the rules, other times I just presume ... if breakfast time is over, then "NO BREAKFAST!"

Eventually I walked into town. I was naturally looking for something to eat, and I wanted to get a few provisions for snacking in my room; to offset the expense of eating out all the time, and a few other odds and ends.

Well today it rained - as perhaps not "only as it can, in Ireland" but it was still, a force to be reckoned with! Not to be outdone, the wind, was intent on at least matching the veracity of the precipitation. The result then yields, not just rain "fall," but something a kin to a full frontal assault. It is impressive to see white caps on road side puddles. A day such as this, most certainly puts gear purchased for rain protection, to the test. My assessment is, that there was no penetration of rain to the inner sanctum of the jacket, however if one is inclined to perspire, then you don't actually stay dry inside anyway!

Of course the water repellent qualities of the jacket create a water fall effect, the reservoir being the front of ones pants - to complete the dowsing that the windblown rain hasn't reached, to achieve a uniform dampness.

As for footwear, well the gortex low cut hiking shoe (that has achieved wonders at relieving my plantar fasciitis) held their own for quite sometime. But eventually the premise of being mindful where you step, becomes a bit farcical and then, it's time to unleash the inner child and just tromp right through the middle!

Where some observation did come in useful, was noting that in front of a cross-walk I was intending to utilize, I noticed as I approached, there was a newly formed river running across in front of it.... Now you add to that two or three cars cruising along in succession and they can whip up a tsunami like wave, that rivals the "Pipeline" (north shore Oahu) - if you are standing there waiting to cross - it would be like walking through the car wash (minus the soap and "raindance" spray on wax treatment).

I return back to my room (having successfully acquired all I was looking for) & having a delightful visit with a friend in town that works at one of the shops. I was drenched & happy. Seriously - there are untold numbers of people that could never get here. I have been someone that could never get here. And now I'm here! For the fourth time! I'm not even remotely dissatisfied with the notion of "been there done that" - and the weather is what the weather will be!

I'm warm and dry in my room...
I have the delightful company of C.S. Lewis and is autobiography. (just one book that made the journey with me). When I tire of the works and expressions of others... I will write my own.

Downstairs in the guest sitting room there is a peat fire, which I will take in shortly. I have a tub of protein powder and a new shaker cup (that was given to me) which just at the moment, seems to have been created with the lid welded on.... I'm infinitely closer to a delicious smoothie ... than I was yesterday. The lid will yield - or I'll walk it back to the shop tomorrow - have another chin wag & either trade it; or, my old friend "Murphy," will arrive and either the lid will freely release when I go to demonstrate it's "defectiveness," or the proprietor will relieve me of the cup, and without any pretence of a struggle, will simple remove the lid. And then look at me.... oh you know the look - it penetrates through, to not only where you live, but everyone that ever came before you once walked. It has the power to elicit instantaneous humility. And it can even render someone such as myself that has a love and propensity to babble - in to stunned silence.

In the meantime, I have a bag of apples, some rice cakes and some other "healthy crackers" and a jar of peanut butter.

Now where the hell is that knife?


R. O'Neill (November 09, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment