Saturday 7 May 2016

It's a Bird ... Its' a Plane...........

Today will be my third day, of a block of five shifts, at the residential care facility I work at. It is a short four hour shift (beginning at 5p.m.) I took them somewhat on speculation. They allow me plenty of time before hand to go to the gym and or, go out and do some busking.  There is always the potential to "extend" the shift if they are short staffed or one of the full time people, decides they would like to leave early. All part of the game of looking to creatively expand myself and my cash flow along the way.

I came into town early to do some busking. I like to mix up my locations some; so as not to wear out my welcome, in any one spot. I was a little surprised to find the library court available, so I wasted no time in getting set up and proceeded to do my thing.

While I was playing I couldn't help but notice a considerably higher number than usual, concentration of "super heroes" milling about. There were "supermen," some that wouldn't have exceeded two feet in height. Batman and Spiderman was well represented.  And it wasn't just some of Victoria's toddler population participating, there were adults living out there favourite alter ego's as well. "The Flash" Green Lantern, Captain America and beyond that my fluency with these characters wanes. But there was one fellow, who to me looked like one of the Ninja Turtles - without the shell. Some of the "adult costumes" appeared to be more than just thrown together on a whim and likely represented a fair financial outlay.  Perhaps Victoria is far more guarded against the forces of evil than I ever realized. I'm pretty sure, some of these characters, were into their roles more, than on a one off basis.

Perhaps this was why some of my busking counterparts had given the courtyard a wide berth today. Once I got going I thought - what the hell, just adds to the atmosphere!? It was chaos in there (at least by my estimation) there were little crime fighters running all over the place. The acoustics that are so favourable for musical performance, also happen to provide young justice league members, with a delightful sonic response to their shrieking!!  They were running all up and around where I was performing, some playing "hide and seek" with me around the large metallic sculpture, that forms the centre of the platform I was on. Unquestionably it was one of the less financially lucrative sessions I've had in there. it was however, the perfect opportunity to practice holding my centre - while there was considerably stirring around me. In this I remained unflappable - in fact there were more parents that were pulled from their centre, voicing their concerns to the kids about "disrupting me." I told them not to worry. I was relishing in all that free flowing exuberance and expression; playing in the streets (in part) represents an aspect of that for me. I understand the "need" for parents to give children "boundaries" (banks to their river) but as one, who might have been said, to have had my river damed, to the point of it being a motionless pool of stagnation - I love to see the openness and free-floating joy of children.

There were various little ones that kept coming back to the platform - one beautiful little "Shirley Temple - esque" girl kept coming back, showing me her "Scooby-do" button and told me she was going to dance! "Alright then - Dance, Dance Little Sister Dance!" It touches me deeply that not just on this day, but frequently, little ones feel ok to approach me and interact. There were places and times in my life, where I had absolutely no idea how to be around children, and I perceived they were scared of me (I never would have harmed a hair on any one of their heads - but maybe it was just a vibe I gave off) all of which just fed my stories of self-contempt). I just did my best to avoid situations where I would be put in the position to have to interact, even though it was another source of pain.

Before leaving that spot a women who had stopped to listen to whatever I was singing at the moment and was swaying in the courtyard with the music - I love the co-creation of those kind of collaborative moments; approached closer, to the platform and sang the most beautiful harmonies to my rendition of "Hallelujah." We finished the song and I turned to acknowledge her, she says to me "thank you - I sing sometimes" I responded thank you, that was beautiful, and  yes I hear, you most certainly do sing! Thank you for your amazing contribution!!  At that point I felt "my work" there was done and decided to move on.

I wandered some of the other downtown areas that I have played in the past - I didn't want to go to far a field as I wanted time to get home and relax before working tonight. Everywhere I had in mind was already featuring a performance in progress. I decided to check one more spot, that I had seen people play in the past (but that I had never tried) - as it turns out it was vacant; it even had a beautiful shade providing tree! I love a bright sunny day - but even more I like the to enjoy it - in the shade!

The most important factor regarding varying my location (beyond financial return - which in the long run is still relevant) is that I not get to believing that I can only be "ok" in certain locations). Certainly I continue to ply the waters of the "tried and true," however, I want to expand my experience and knowing; that those waters run within me, not the street corner I'm standing on.  It's a little like going to a workshop or class and many return to the same seat each day; I have done it and seen it done. I give myself permission to grab something to anchor myself when necessary, but at the same time, intending to prove to myself; I can bring the anchor with me and thereby have another experience and perspective elsewhere. Where "busking" is concerned if I were to hold to the same spots all the time - that could then mean if someone is already there - I must go home or wait until they're done. In effect I have handed the person or the situation my power.  The greater recognition is that if I do this in the realm of busking there is a very good chance it is a way of being in other areas of my life too!

There is far more going on than me, just offering "oldies" on the street corner (for me anyway, it's an ongoing forum of expansion and discovery) - but without question and with deep gratitude, I will accept your money as well!!



No comments:

Post a Comment