Thursday 26 May 2016

May I Continue to Empty (that I May Be Refilled)

Instead of clawing at the very fabric of my mind intent on grasping only the most profound idea upon which to wax - I'll just concede, I don't know what that would be!

 After all, while I stare down the blank screen before me; all that surrounds me (including the computer), the eyes (that despite their "near-sightedness" and having been occasionally implicated with bouts of myopia) perform a miraculous feat and my relationship with all of it; (inside & out) speaks to me increasingly, of an awareness that there is infinitely more mystery, than that which I can explain.

I could just stop there, it would be the shortest blog post I've ever participated in! Though my "not knowing" may well be a natural progression of my evolution; to just sit endlessly in silence or to post blank pages might not serve anything. Of course the unfettered page would create a forum for each to write their own story. Given you the reader, are going to do that anyway; it seems that regardless of my inability to know all that is, I feel the continued call, to engage with it.

If this is held to be true, then how do I interact, without knowing? Well admitting I don't know, is a pretty good place to start. It is helpful to manage any fear I might have, that not knowing equates to danger.  I can certainly release any notion that I am going to "conquer" the unknown.

How about "befriending" the unknown? By this I don't mean ignoring what is, however it doesn't preclude one from holding a vision of what they would prefer as possible, at the same time. Am I then, presenting this a "fact?" No I am not, remember I've already said I don't know. Within that I wonder though, why so often, is only the most negative outcome; seen as being the most, "realistic?" Do people that "beat the odds," do so through the participation in something that can be assigned odds, numerical values and statistical likelihoods?

I met a fellow a couple nights ago. I had decided to go for a walk after dinner. My GPS (God Positioning System) took me in the direction of a neighbourhood ballpark. I had initially thought I might catch a game (not knowing if there actually was one) turns out, I was likely meant to meet this guy. When I got near the park I could see the fields appeared empty, as I got closer, there were five guys holding batting practice.  I stood behind the backstop and watched and ran around and retrieved the occasional foul ball. Perhaps not the most profound form of service, however it did save the participants from having to stop and track where the balls landed and then fetch them. Besides that, I probably ate too much prior and the extra exercise, would be good for me.

The fellow I'm talking about was sitting behind the backstop as well, on his motorized "scooter." I remembered him from last summer when I attended ball games down there. I began our conversation by asking him if he knew when that league played their games this season. I may have even mentioned him in a blog post from around that time. He was doing "donuts" on his scooter and flipped it. Myself and another fellow worked together to put his scooter upright and make sure he was okay. When I returned to the bleachers there was a women from one of the teams talking to her partner; she was making various derogatory comments regarding this fellow and what just happened. "Serves him right - he got what he deserved!" etc. - based on...... well, who knows what? What occurred that night to this fellow could be said to be a result of "cause and effect;" but not a matter of morality or his "deserving it."

As we talked this present night, he told me of the motor vehicle accident that resulted in his current condition (that would have been true of last year as well) he was one of five people in the car which was totalled. Two people died instantly and this fellow was in a coma for 3 1/2 months. He didn't elaborate on the injuries sustained by the other occupants, or their current status. The doctors had "wanted to pull the plug" a proposition that his mother flatly refused to engage; he is alive and resumes his reintegration, within the community.

Without wishing to malign medical science, it must be recognized, that the best the combined knowledge of whatever team of "experts" was compiled, was to "discontinue life support" - yet he revived anyway. What buoyed his mother's determination? What was going on for him while to the "outside world" he was absent? Who has the right to dictate what constitutes "quality of life" and regardless of what way this fellow chooses to participate in the world - who has the right to second guess his mothers decision?

If I had not struck up a conversation with this man, I would never have known what an inspiration his life and story hold! His life - his story, changed my life in an instant! (and I told him so!) One old adage claims "all that glitters is not gold;" perhaps it should be further stated "all that's exhibits tarnished, is of no less value!"

I work in a couple of care environments where people's ages range from "middle aged to senior." They have been subject to various life circumstances, that have temporarily or in some cases, permanently changed their life trajectory. I suppose even those that are discharged "home," can't help but be "changed" by the experience. One day to the next (when I'm there working) I see these individuals getting up each day (whether under their own steam or with assistance) putting one foot in front of the other (even when the crowning glory in the moment, is to go from sitting to standing and bear their own weight momentarily). I have the "day off" today - within which my greatest challenge might be - what will I write? Meanwhile back at the care facility progress is measured in, often the unmeasurable.

The song proclaimed "We don't need another hero......." yet so common place in our world, there are those that are thrust to the pedestal (whether they want it or not). Somehow these "titles" are reserved for a very finite segment of the human family. How is it that accolades are reserved for those that are victorious in the sports arena - that courage, poise, grace, beauty are extended only to those "stars" of stage and screen?

I'm not saying that success in any field of endeavour hasn't called heroic resolve forth from it's participants. What I am saying is there are countless unsung heroes. If one was looking for examples of "super-human" tenacity, courage, acceptance, surrender, humility, humour in the face of adversity they might re-consider their view.

Though you may well witness a warrior spirit - on a battlefield, the peaks of K2, behind the wheel of a formula 1 race car, arenas/coliseums, boardrooms and political platforms; you can just as readily bear witness and be inspired by those: brandishing canes, wheelchairs, walkers or riding onto the field of battle on a shiny steed of a scooter, to face another day of degradation, for not being the "brightest penny in the jar!"




No comments:

Post a Comment