Saturday 26 November 2016

"Be the Change/Same"

Though I'm hesitant to affix labels, today I am pondering what it is to be a "activist."  I suppose I would be remiss if I didn't describe the "marching orders" I operated from at other places in time, which might be tagged "in-activist." At least now, that which I write might have some sense of honesty, a more comprehensive conveyance and imply some form of movement.

"Movement" as it happens, is an integral part of my telling of the story. Which if one stops to think about it, might be considered a key element of "activism." I might then, need to "do something" in order to engage in activism.

There was a time when I was convinced there was a great deal "wrong" with a great many things - my  action; or rather my lack thereof, might then have suggested, I was equally convinced, someone else should be doing something about it. (Whatever "it" was).

A quick look at the online definition of the term: "activist" it produced the following list: militant, zealot, protester, radical, extremist.

It's interesting to me that this list of "synonyms" seem to distinctly have been derived from the perspective of those that would prefer the status quo remain intact. Who the hell was this "Roget" anyway?

An excerpt from the Wikipedia "bio" states: "his obsession with list-making as a coping mechanism was well established by the time he was eight years old."

One could interpret this as evidence that Roget himself was an "extremist." Who then decided to adopt his window on the world, as a main stay English language reference manual?

So, if you passionately believe in an inclusive, sustainable, equitable (to name a few) world, then you are a "zealot." If you would prefer to uphold those pillars that comprise the "establishment" (which is utilizing the same dogmatic adherence to their ideology) I suppose you have to refer to an alternative Roget page, or perhaps an entirely different book exists to define that shit.

In general terms my form of "activism" might well not align with that of others. Ongoing examination will no doubt reveal additional ways I hold fast to some idea or another; as though, "this is the way it is." I hold a vision of myself as capable and willing to undergo expansion and evolution. However, that which I "cling" to (as though it's life itself) must be considered "dogma." I don't necessarily insist everyone believe or behave accordingly - but it most certainly influences my ways of being (until such time as it doesn't).

Still, just because I might attend at a particular "rally," or put some energy and attention to the a particular cause - does not mean I will blindly follow others that claim to be "like-minded." For example I once attended a rally on the lawns of the Legislative Buildings in Victoria that was either for an oil tanker free coastline or against tankers, tar-sands etc. I suppose others there could represent a vibrant healthy life-sustaining eco-system...... (so then, innumerable people and potential motivations to be there - some known, some completely unconscious even to themselves).

Someone standing beside me proclaimed to me, "We are going to do whatever it takes to defeat these bastards....." While I can acknowledge their passion, I'm not about to be swept up in misguided "group-mind." I informed this person, there are undoubtedly things upon which we would agree, however, don't presume to speak for me; I have my own directives and won't be led anywhere. My participation can not be assumed to follow the crowd. The end does not imply unfettered rationalization, for the means.

Somewhere along the line, as life has "encouraged" me, to get off my ass - I have also been enrolled in a curriculum that is fostering in me, an ever-deepening awareness, of personal responsibility and accountability for my actions. So - just because I decide to "take action," it doesn't allow me impunity with regard to what form, those actions take.

To further clarify my position with regard to "activism" I believe one need hold very strongly to their centre whenever engaging. No one, or no group of people, can represent what is true and appropriate for you. The onus is on the one to be guided from within. Behaviour, decisions, choices of a group make it no more valid -no matter the size of the group.

Whenever there is a truth being upheld, the power of that action is "attractive." The challenge becomes, maintaining the integrity of the stand, in the face of those that profess to be joining ranks (& like minded) however, they have their own agendas.

Some spaciousness must be located between "we are all in this together" and something a kin to, "follow the leader."

 Before accepting an invitation to "join us" it might be prudent to ask, "where is it that you are going?"

No comments:

Post a Comment