Wednesday 23 November 2016

No Small Contribution

What can I say, that has not already been said regarding the peaceful, prayerful, vigil at Standing Rock? Virtually nothing! Yet is "participation" relegated only to those that are there on the front lines of the peaceful protest? No question that those that are there; are in a great deal more jeopardy directly related to the actions of law enforcement personal, being brought in to heavy-handedly enforce the agenda, of those responsible for the pipeline's construction, than I am.

My awareness has been raised due to the courage and commitment of the indigenous peoples from all around the planet to champion for the land and I am grateful. As I consider how to expand my own consciousness beyond profit driven economies and unsustainable consumption, I deeply appreciate the challenge that presents, while attempting to connect and disconnect at the same time.

To date, I have signed numerous petitions and shared various articles on social media. Stepping beyond the status quo is not an overnight transition. And despite my daily attention to Standing Rock I know there are many who aren't talking about it - at all. Here at "home" having fairly recently undergone a change in Federal government; there is a pending decision on various proposed projects, that are of the same nature as The Dakota Access Pipeline (in as much as their very nature, is potentially devastating, to the environment - "Nature") the envisioned routes are through sacred, pristine, environmentally sensitive lands and Pacific coastline. Frankly what body of land is not "sensitive," to the assault and trauma of pipeline construction and the invariable leaks. I know of some calls to world-wide prayer and have contact info for sending on cash resources.

Governments speak of "world class" spill response (on the next breath after new technology is touted as being "far safer" than years gone by). Fifteen percent of an overall oil spill recovered is considered a successful intervention. "World class" doesn't mean spit, if those are the standards that comprise the definition.

I have foregone the use of a motor vehicle for over two years now.  To be honest I don't know that has done anything to impact "green house gases" production. I can say, that I can attest to many of the tenets of consumer society, as being false and misleading. Much that is touted as being "necessary" simply isn't. Without question, day to day life changes quite radically, when one explores divesting themselves from the "rules of engagement." It's possible, I may operate a vehicle again at some point. My point is there are many ways to usher in change. No matter what form it takes, that actions of one, may well become the inspiration for another. Change is required on many fronts. Agents of that change, must be diverse and call upon the pinnacle of their creativity; in order to represent that change.

I recently transferred my personal finances from one of the larger corporate banks to a local Credit Union. I didn't see the name of the bank I was involved in on the list of Canadian banks financing DAPL - however I know their hands are dirty in other ventures around the globe; that I don't care to be invested in. I got involved in that bank three years ago through a mortgage broker. My primary focus at the time, was consolidating some debt and "the best interest rate I could attain." Three year later I had the opportunity to "renew" and a shift in my awareness, requires that my financial world (meagre as it may be) "walks my talk." I might require one more conversation with my new branch manager to translate the tale of the paper trail generated through this transfer; but I am satisfied I have landed in a better place (for me). It may well be, that it "cost me" more to transfer; rather than just "roll over," and renew at the previous institution. However, had I stayed, the incongruence would have been for me, a more unacceptable longer term consequence.

I don't know that I will ever occur in the world as any sort of "leader." Having said that, I suggest that every one of the "100 hundred monkeys" is required to create that change "momentum." 

So as I said to begin with, I don't know that I have anything new to say. But maybe, it's just as important that I stand and be counted, while I'm saying it.


No comments:

Post a Comment