Monday 17 April 2017

Dream Weaving

The second day in Derry Northern Ireland came complete with far more favourable weather for being outdoors and exploring. Once I circumnavigated around the historic Derry city walls, it was time to make good on my intention to busk today. That comes as an element of the overall dream of busking In Ireland (and anywhere else I might find myself on this journey..) as well as I considered it a possible means to raise some funds and make contributions to local community resources (that support those with addictions/mental health issues)... it's early in the scheme of things (having only just got over here) so I haven't determined what additional ways I could be of service... I will "keep my ears to the track" and be open to my own creative inspiration and/or opportunity that invites and presents itself. Somewhere in there, I look for some sort of balance between my own creative potential and "not pushing the river.."

I had walked what I had thought to be roughly halfway around the wall .... taking in the different historical information placards as I went. About that time, I decided to keep my eyes open for a coffee/lunch spot. I determined it (the busking) would happen, once I was fed and had walked the rest of the wall.

As it turned out after a delicious lunch; once I resumed my walk, I was almost immediately back at where I had begun the wall walk. Of course this meant - put up or shut up, it's show time. I say that with humour because; I in no way felt pressure/obligation around this. That was not the energy I want to bring in at all. Just the same... I did need to give myself the space to go ahead as I was ready (not to be like some sort of tyrant). However; I also know that if I keep "putting it off," it won't get any easier to begin.

Today was the perfect day to be outdoors! So really all I needed to deal with was my "story" about giving a musical performance in Ireland (for God sake).. By that I mean, I'm aware of all the gifted artists, writers, poets, musicians etc. from Ireland. So I needed to convince myself it's not a case of bring a "sandwich to a picnic" (and a very "white bread" sandwich at that). I bring what I bring..

I bring what I always bring.... Namely me! Seriously it doesn't matter if I stay on the streets of Victoria and sing or book an international tour; there will always be "greater or lesser" musicians (mostly greater...) this has been my dream (well first it was getting back here at all.... that I held for over 5 years) now I'm here twice inside of less than six months) beyond that, I can't let the committee of assholes that reside in my head - derail my dream! There is no competition - that I don't go fabricating!

Another vision with regard to "being of service" is to play a role in encouraging others to know, develop and reach; their potential and to live their dreams into being. That being the case, I must demonstrate living in alignment and integrity in my own life as well. Of course this doesn't mean that I don't have to manage my own self.... when it comes to these "outside the comfort zone" growing/expanding realizations of my own. It doesn't even mean that my "intention" ensures immediate success. But, if I can both have my own fears, doubts and even failures along the way & still "keep the drive alive" - then I can talk about, walking my talk.

I eyed up a spot that seemed to me as good as any. It was in a large public square. Really the location was as much a part of the experiment as any of the rest of it. I know from experience there are some places I have found to be "sweet spots" in Victoria - I look to go back to those places when I can. As well, I will try the odd random other locations just to see how it goes. It's not the end of the world if I go into town and "the spot" is taken. It's a little frustrating if I have set the time aside, got into town with my guitar and then face the prospect of not playing. This is why I stay open to various additional spots. There are those that insist certainly places are "the places..." and while there is something to be said for "tried and true" - I believe in an abundant universe and therefore it's as much about how I hold my own energy, as where I'm doing it. Of course there are some locations where the business there; would prefer you perform anywhere but there - fair enough! I always look to not impede pedestrian traffic or block door ways etc.

Not knowing anything about these sorts of logistics here ... it's pretty much "trial & error.."

I got set up and began to play. I have not used this particular guitar in a busking situation before. It is a "parlour - size"/travel guitar; that I found in a pawn shop, and had serviced. I brought it along partly for the convenience of it's size and also knowing; that if got lost or damaged in transit, or if I were to get fed up traveling with it... it wouldn't break my heart, to let it go.

Where I did procrastinate some before leaving, was in the installation and testing some strap buttons. I got some & then put them on the day I was leaving... I quickly put the guitar on over my neck and felt it out for positioning - which checked out okay. What I didn't find out until beginning to play; was that due to the hasty installation, or maybe an older strap where the attachment holes have been enlarged from use; the strap keeps coming undone while playing it. This occurring I have to say, as I'm trying to perform my first song, had the potential to be a "deal-breaker." I envisioned... stopping. I envisioned the guitar being up-ended in a waste bin somewhere. I envisioned the guitar reduced to match sticks.

While this inner dance is going on.... I'm re-attaching the strap, twisting it in various directions; hoping that it will stay on better.  NO IT WILL NOT.

In very short order I learn that potential public indifference to buskers is internationally universal - so this strap situation is "my problem.." nobody else actually cares. From where I'm standing I see what will serve very well as a seat. Enter... living into the solution. I will contend with the strap later. Maybe something can be twisted around over the strap attachments to hold it in place - maybe I get a new strap - for now, it's to be a seated performance.

In the spirit of "the show must go on" - it did! Once I got set up and adjusted for a sit down performance, things began to gel. Before I finished my first song I had made.... well, to be honest, not being particularly familiar with the coins of the local currency - I had no idea what I made!! Curiosity got the best of me; so after the first song, I leaned over to read the coin (50p) Wow... my first ever gratuity for traveling busking!!

The grand total after roughly an hour of playing was £15 - I was pretty happy with that!! On the one hand, money/no money was not the only consideration. I know there can be vast fluctuations from one time to next - even if you get "the spot." More importantly was and is - the experience of receiving; while, doing what I love to do anyway. And, taking a dream out of the nebulous abstraction of "I'd love to..." "wouldn't it be great if....." I wonder what it would be like" and making it real!!

No comments:

Post a Comment