Thursday 21 June 2018

Be It Ever So Humble

The next line in Desiderata reads:

"Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortune of time."

It continues to be heartening to me, that at the end of the day, the work I currently and have done, much of my working life; is of service to humanity. This despite the fact, that it isn't necessarily my "dream job." Though I continue to extend gestures to the universe with respect to my passion for writing; there is no guarantee, that it will ever support me financially; and therefore, I continue to work in a residential care/rehabilitation facility.

The work itself certainly has its rewards, while at the same time, the politics and workplace dynamics can be exasperating. No question it can also can be physically and emotionally demanding work. Certainly I feel the "writing on the wall," with respect for the need, to consider switching it up.

Still while I am able, it most definitely something to be grateful for. Just yesterday, I was ordering lunch at a Tim Horton's outlet, the young fellow serving me, asked me about my plans for the rest of the day. I told him I was waiting for my motorcycle (in for some warranty work) and then would ride into town and get ready for work. When he asked me what I do, I replied, as noted above. His response was, "you must be a very caring person."

I was momentarily taken a back; touched and then from that not so loving place within, I hear, "not necessarily!" I of course thanked him for his kind reflection. I walked away aware, I do care about people, I want everyone to realize their potentials and to be treated with compassion and respect. It was however, flabbergasting to have someone so opening point that out to me.

The last three evening I was booked to cover these "work-load" short shifts (4hrs.) - meaning I was "extra staffing" above and beyond the normal numbers. My soul task (pun intended) was to go around and encourage those that were assessed as being safe to do so, to get in some "extra" walking. They are not "allowed" to walk on their own (recovering from injury/surgery) - they may not be entirely stable on their feet, so it is a safety precaution, but still, it riles me to consider such a impingement on one's freedom.

Imagine being so immobilized, that you look forward to someone coming to walk with you, for 15-20min. so you can get up from the chair you've been in - all day!!

I walked with one gentleman that is recovering from a stroke. As we were walking he exclaims to me, "I'm one of the lucky ones" (just so we're clear, recall I said he is recovering from a "STROKE"). He goes on to say, "from my time in the general hospital, I'm aware through my experience, of how each and every effort (no matter how small) has contributed to my recovery." "After the stroke I couldn't walk or talk, I'm where I am now, as a direct result of all that previous work and those that, have walked with me."

Again I'm rendered near speechless. What I do, is not glamorous work, not particularly lucrative, doesn't involve an fame or prestige - it is, certainly not without its blessings.

There have been times and places in my life when I believed I served no useful purpose to anyone (let alone myself) - to be of service, I now see, as such a privilege; and a gift whereby, I never seem to feel as though, I'm not getting far more, than I'm offering.

Whatever the work you do - if you're miserable, do consider how you can make the change. In the meantime, chances are you are providing some form of service to someone. And often there's no telling what a difference that is making in their day.

Thank you for being of service.

R. O'Neill (June 21, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment