Saturday 30 June 2018

You are Welcome Here!

This reassurance is ushered in from the Desiderata:

" You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here."

"No less than the trees or the stars!" In fact it is said, we are made from the same microscopic raw materials. But if knowing your composite makeup, doesn't go very far to making you "feel welcome" in the world - you need not wait around for someone to give you permission for being (with the exception of the man or woman in the glass) - if he or she is anything like me - they could be a stalwart holdout. You are welcome, wanted and needed here; so am I.

We are here; therefore we already have the "permission" to be. How utterly sad it is to realize how thoroughly, so many, continue to discount themselves. I found it very painful to realize the mistaken beliefs I had taken on (it matters very little to me any more, where they were sourced); the impact that living with these beliefs had upon my life and the continued believing of them, was in effect, a choice. It would be considerably more sad to live out my entire life in such a way. So increased awareness has been both painful and liberating.

I'm not saying that there has been an overnight reversal of such ways of thinking and behaving - but neither is it cast in stone.

It is a refreshing mind-set to realize "I belong!" (well except in those places and situations where I don't) but often even there, my voice, my experience, my needs and my truth; have as much value as anybody else's. My approval and belief in these matters for myself; is far more important, than whether anyone else believes, it for me.  I'm the one that needs to be a stand and expression of myself. Therefore this "allowance" for myself to be there must become well assimilated.

One might ask - how could anyone possibly "believe" - they don't belong? It's not up to me to tell you  for whom and in what way, this is true; that is why I tell my story. I can assure you, I have felt this way and I have encountered scores of others for whom this is also true. You might be surprised, what the truth, behind many a social facade, would reveal.

But if one can begin to entertain the idea of a universe made up of love; contrary to what appears to be endless evidence to the contrary; then they might slowly begin to realize, that this love exists equally for them.

I believe it will always be true for me that there are far more questions than answers. Frankly, to a large extent, I don't even know, what I don't know. Nonetheless the sun shines unconditionally upon me and I'm given ample air to breath. Best of all - I'm not in control of any of it. What a relief!!

Boxes and labels exist in droves. I recommend a mental vacation from as many as possible. Meditate on who you are without those defining ("Limiting") frameworks. Rather than concern yourself about fitting into any of them - spend the time getting to know who lives inside your skin and get comfortable in it.

If I can be home and in a place of love and acceptance within my skin.... there is no place and nobody outside myself, that can or will make that any better.

R. O'Neill (June 30, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment