Saturday 4 June 2016

Freedom: Not Just "Another Word"

"Free at last, Free at last, thank God almighty we are free at last." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Often referred to as "the immortal words of...."

What if the words have this sustained "immortality" because they were spoken in order to wake up and inspire, more than just those that were present; when they were uttered through the human body form, of that particular man?

I don't wish to dishonour any of the various "struggles" that divide and subdivide and to a great extent, could be seen, to entirely define the history of human existence. I don't deny or diminish the suffering that occurs, often described as "man's inhumanity toward man."

What if the words framed in that opening quote, continue to reverberate through "time," because they echo the soul, desire of all human kind?

I don't deny that despite the landmark work of Dr. King, African American people are still being oppressed and discriminated against. There are also those that speculate about what more might Dr. King have accomplished, had his life not been "tragically cut short?" What more would you have him do? This also assumes that this human existence is "alpha and omega." Of course there was a great deal more that one could delineate about his life's work. But what if, (in essence) he was to leave the world with those words? That's it - orchestral crescendo - roll the credits!

How "free" is anyone if they think ...... "what can I do now, I'm no Martin Luther King?" No you are not, nor am I. Chances are King didn't necessarily envision what ultimately became the impact he had on the world - he was too busy following his heart and passion. He may not have eliminated the racism and oppression that became the hallmark of his service. But he did demonstrate what is possible for a human being; living in full alignment with their soul. By this I mean, he stepped outside of innumerable societal frameworks, in order to fully show up as himself - that's FREEDOM!

"But he died for doing that!" So what! I'm not inclined to spend endless time and energy trying to define what constitutes "quality of life" versus quantity. I will interject a question to consider: What is worse - the slow incremental soul death of self-deception and self-abandonment, or a life of indeterminate length lived with flair, authenticity, vision and courage; which is then "ended," in an equally dramatic fashion? (which I repeat, still "created" immortal words.

Martin Luther King did not define himself through the eyes of so many of his time. He didn't deny who he was, or the implications of the times of many "in his shoes." He could not have done what he did, if he saw himself through the limiting lens of his society. He did not take on those limiting beliefs (if ever they were present his walk transformed them) most of all he did not present as a victim. The other thing is, regardless of the path that King blazed - he cannot do the soul work for anyone else. He cannot release anyone else from their victim consciousness. So this isn't reduced to a "race" issue, I'm saying everyone need walk their own path. Each has their own packaging and storyline and a leap forward in evolution does on some level affect the "whole," but, still your journey is your journey.

The entire focus of this post is not intended to focus exclusively on Martin Luther King. Time spent doing so, was in part due to the opening quote having been his. I wish to place continued emphasis on this idea of "freedom."

The song said: "Freedom's just another word for - nothing left to lose......." However there is always something left to "lose." (Except not really- this "freedom" can be ignored or abandoned, but can never be lost). I'm not saying that upholding it won't yield on-going challenge. I'm saying it can't be "taken away" nor do the various trials and tribulations of humanity eradicate it. I'm suggesting that in fact, they can be the crucible through which it is brought fully into being.

The "work" of soul liberation is for any and all, if they so choose. There will be it seems, alway those that live out contrasting ways of being; even as proclamations state progress or a victory, for a given group of people.

Wars continue to be waged: "war on drugs," "war on terrorism," "war on poverty" "battle of the sexes?" etc. The last example though not a phrase that is bandied about like it used to be - clearly hasn't been entirely resolved either. As within - so without! I'm not saying that those that are passionate about focused attention to one "side" or both of this equation are not doing valuable work.  So too, are those that might not be "vocationally" focused in this "arena," but are doing the "soul-work" of balancing the male/female energies within themselves (regardless of their gender). I'm suggesting the myriad of ways humanity divides itself means everything and nothing.

Each person that goes about freeing their soul to live outside of the layer upon layer of stories and conditioning liberates themselves and everyone. It's "divine" selfishness. Each could decide to disengage from their ancestral inheritance and not carry for another generation, the need to suffer as their parents did, and their parents did, and their parents did......

I believe there is a vast difference between being called to some form of service (whatever that looks like - it's all service) feeling joyfully engaged and on purpose, or stepping into something because well, after all .... this is what my parents/my community/my ethnicity/my religion/my sexuality etc. "expect from me." Also distinctly different, is following passionately, heart and soul versus living out the projected unhealed wounds - creating endless dragons to slay and wrapping it in a veil of righteousness and altruism. Though I'm saying there's difference, I'm not saying one good the other bad. I also can't say equivocally the different approaches aren't "necessary." At the very least it provides contrasting images; through which one can find mirrored themselves and continue to make choices, that define themselves.

I'm suggesting that the further one steps "outside" conditioning, programming, social agreements determines the degree of "freedom." If I'm following something for the sake of "tradition" that I really don't believe in; while trying to envelope myself in the "pride of tradition" there is no soul freedom in that.

Am I setting the bar unrealistically high? In a way yes, if "realistic" is implied to mean "it has always been this way, therefore it alway will be." Am I intentionally sticking my thumb in other's eyes?" No. However I acknowledge my views will not align with those of many and they may then believe themselves to be under attack.

I want so much more than the "status quo." Will it occur universally in my life time? I have no idea. It doesn't matter if it does or does not. I seek a reality that embodies an ever increasing freedom for my soul. There have been countless people who didn't live to see the "fruition" of their work. If you plant a seedling, you might well not be around, to enjoy the shade of that tree.

Will I die whilst continually presenting a varying perspective and consciousness? Maybe, but so what? No I don't have a "death wish." I have died a thousands deaths. (No I'm not a martyr or a victim). I have never "fit in." I have never "been cool." I have never been "popular." My stories have included the suffering of all of this - the persecution, the humiliation, the abandonment, the betrayal.

My journey has informed me that all the afore mentioned suffering had my fingerprints all over it. I'm calling in one all-encompassing about face, whereby I love and accept all I mistakenly believed was "wrong with me." To call in to being, all that is "unique" and "different" about me and love it in it's entirety. I built the prison - but the good news is I know where the key is!

The path to freedom is not just for the privileged, it is for all those who choose it.

I'm not suggesting anyone follow me anywhere. The message I'm living from and into, is one that seeks ongoing expansion and realization of soul-based being. I surrender any remaining vestiges of my "victim story." I honour without judgment anyone else's choice to continue in a story of limitation and victimhood. If asked, I would encourage they see the possibility beyond that.

Do I have all the answers as to how each can attain this "freedom." Nope!

A possible initiatory query might be: what currently comprises my "incarceration?"

As of now I see my "free at last" as more of a freedom march, than an event. It occurs to me right in this moment, that perhaps a more useful application of "rebellious" energy might be to direct it toward my own limiting storylines. Not with the idea of "defeating them;" but to acknowledge, it takes something, to reach beyond them.

I suppose though this is very much an "inside job," to be of any service to anyone else, there would need to be some visible demonstration.

It is then, my responsibility to "show up" how I want to be seen. If I allow the limiting views of others to define me, I have resigned myself to believe these limitations are true.

Once again - the relationship between truth and freedom comes to the fore!

No comments:

Post a Comment