Monday 20 June 2016

Joy to My World!

 Sitting in the cafe, enjoying a cup of matcha, basking in the warm glow having worn my "minstrel of the streets" hat today. From my perspective, any day I get out there and do it - is a success! Contrast this to what might be a prevailing attitude that suggests, the fact I'm doing it at the "age" of 56 at all, would be indicative, of being an abysmal failure. (I just had to think about how old I actually was) that's hilarious to me, I wonder "what that means?") cue the melodramatic organ music.  I suppose what it means to me, is that I'm not particularly orientated to the whole "agism"thing.

Tell ya what, whether you play a musical instrument or not - hell take a book, stand on the street corner and read aloud (put your hat on the ground) and then just keep doing it and doing it and doing it (with varying frequency for x 3+ years) - then share your thoughts with me regarding what it is to busk.

Today it was one women stopping a sharing "I love having music in the streets" another women stopped and shared with me her feeling of nostalgia; telling me the story of being a young girl, small enough to sit under the piano bench, while her mother played and sang. She said she used to put her ear right against the piano so she could hear and feel the music. The song I was singing ("Grandfather's Clock") was one of the songs her mom sang!

Another fellow stopped by and reminded me "I'm to meet him in front of the pawn shop Wednesday morning - he get's his cheque, will be there to get his guitar and rings out and will make good on the twenty dollars he's into me for." Oh and while we're at it can ya make it $21.00, he says, "I'm going to go and get a Gatorade." He's been orchestrating this rendezvous for a couple weeks now. The money is neither here nor there to me - it does seem really important to him, so I will give him the opportunity to preserve his dignity and values. (the other day he says -"ya never know when I might need to borrow that again, you sure as shit don't get to borrow more money, if ya don't pay what you already owe.") He's got a story that touches my heart - which I won't share, because I believe his sharing it, was a sacred trust and so that's that!

A mother with her toddler (maybe he was 2-3) came by, he was carrying a little travel size guitar. I stopped playing an said hi to him and crouched down to trade "high fives" and gush some over his guitar!! I went back to my music stand and he came with me - I said alright then, are you going to play with me? I started to sing again and he began his improvisational rendition right along with me. That certainly drew more than the usual volume of attention. People were stopping, pointing, smiling and filming, we (well mostly the young maestro) created quite a stir. We finished, exchanged another round of high fives and he says "One more!" His mom vetoed as they had to go, but thanked me for allowing her son to "jam." (my pleasure - seriously what's not to like about experiences like that!!) I dropped my guitar pick and he picked it up. I said, "you better keep that you're going to need that!" His mom thanked me said she had been making them for him because he kept losing them. He then really went to town strumming his little guitar!!

Another fellow stopped and was very attentive. He was examining my guitar as I was playing and then asked me about it when I finished. He was familiar with the make and model and commented that it was a good sounding guitar. (it's actually one of my favourites of all the guitars I've owned and it is by far less expensive than many others). I told him I loved the sound and also liked that the guitar being not ("solid wood") - was certainly more forgiving to the riggers of street performing. I said, "it is taking a beating - but then again, I don't have it to keep it all showroom pristine, I'm going to play it until it's dust!" He laughed and then handed me a twenty dollar bill he'd been holding folded in his hand while we were chatting. On the one hand this gig is not all about the money, however it also is a perfect arena for me to discover my "glass ceiling" of cash flow and financial abundance generation. I certainly don't want to repel money!! So that twenty he handed me all at once, was as much as I made at the previous set (minus the dollar I gave buddy for his gatorade).

To keep this all in perspective I can hold it all in the framework of joyfully doing what I love to do; while not taking myself, too seriously (that is the practice). I can certainly appreciate the warm reflections and interactions - but if I don't take the whole thing "too personally" then when there are contrasting experiences, like the two different times when individuals plugged their ears as they walked by, I don't take that to heart. I can check in and see where my "volume" is at. I can also smile, thank them for the gift they are offering me and respectfully decline it, and bless them on their way. 

I'm not going to be all things to all people musically - anymore than I am in any other facets of life! (thank God for that!!)

Thank you City of Victoria for issuing me a twenty-five dollar "license" with which to share my heart.

Thank you people of Victoria for a multi-faceted, ever expansive journey, of joy and generosity! 



No comments:

Post a Comment