Wednesday 27 July 2016

Abundance

Much to my delight, I was able to take advantage of a day off from some of what constitutes my "day jobs" today and enjoy a morning of busking! There were shift notifications for today and yesterday, but I decided I wanted two days consecutively off; before going into what will be, six days straight back working.

Though I have had some other days off prior to today, I haven't been out singing for awhile. I picked up a head cold like situation and therefore I thought it best to rest my throat. I never got unwell enough to miss any work. In fact during the day, once I was up and about; taken in both a hot drink and a hot shower, it felt as though the "symptoms" were over. But come shortly after dinner time, they would return; apparently this was the rhythm of this particular virus (or whatever it was), so I just did what I could to look after myself and trusted the rest to my body.

The time away from busking had the dual effect of my realizing I was missing singing and then beginning to wonder what if any "if you don't use it you lose it" effect might have transpired.

So today I decided to test the pipes. I was happy to see one of my favourite spots - in front of a downtown market was available; so I was able to get right down to it. The first couple songs out of the gate and finished and it felt great! I could feel my throat was a little "froggy" but that's not unusual during the first songs in the morning any time. I haven't had much in the way of "formal vocal training" but I was then trying to remember the few cues I could vaguely recall about allowing the sound to come from (I'm going to say deeper within - because already just this far into my explanation and I don't really know what I'm saying). Suffice to say, it's easier on the throat.

I was into my third song and a woman I know from encounters while I busk came by with a fellow. They sat on some street benches a little ways down from me. She got up and started singing and dancing; when the song was over she ran over gave me a "high five" (and a quarter) and said, "thank you for starting off my day in such an awesome way!" I thanked her and said, "I couldn't have done it without you!" Which is true, I was just singing and playing as I do, she provided the additional enthusiastic energy with her singing and dancing. I see these folks around, pretty much every time I play down there. I don't know what term is used now-a-days, but they would have been called "rounders" sometime ago. They all hang together and share some wine or a few cans of beer between them; some days I encounter them "sober" - other times not so much. I know only too well that those that spend so much time drinking are hurting inside, so if I can give some cause for some cheer for a brief window in that day, so much the better.

 One of the fellows came up to me and after dropping some change in my case, gestured he wanted to "fist bump" and said, come on brother, give me some of that energy you got!!" That's what I'm there for! I'm trying to get myself out of the way so that the positive energy that is available in the universe flows through me and impresses itself on who ever is open to receiving it. To be clear, I'm not the "source" I just endeavour to express "it" through whatever talent I might have.

Very shortly later, I couple of young women came along and they were dancing along with the song I was singing as soon as they were within earshot. They then put there backpacks down and really got into it dancing back and forth along the side walk - up on the benches. It's wonderful to see what I'm doing being interpreted and expressed by others (a co-creation if you will). One of the girls came over to me when I was finished the song and thanked me, offering me a "smoke;" which I graciously declined and then she says, "how 'bout some weed then?" Again, recognized her generosity I politely declined. She thanked me profusely and said, I just got through some serious trauma and you have just turned my day around!" "What do you want, money?" she asks. I said, I don't need anything, I'm happy you stopped by, thanks for dancing and appreciating my music - nothing else is necessary."

She gave me a big hug, thanked me again, found a "little change" threw that in and off they went. She didn't elaborate on her trauma and I didn't ask. In that moment and for that moment, a difference was made (as it happened they walked by again later in my set and they were still all smiles and waving so I feel good about that. Don't get me wrong - I'm not some sort to purveyor of joy - altruistically ministering  to the downtrodden;  I too feel uplifted in these exchanges,  it's certainly not one-sided.

The performance continued with a not atypical mixture of appreciation, smiles, waves and on the other end of the spectrum indifference, scowls and those doing their best to avoid eye contact. A while later, a gentlemen got out of his vehicle parked behind me and set down a animated wolf/fox head shaped cushion on the ground and then sat his beautiful little daughter (maybe 21/2 - 3 years old) right beside me. They hung out and enjoyed the music part time, while intermittently, daddy's little angel, provided him with some aerobic exercise; when she would just spontaneously get up and go for a run.

Turns out they were visiting here from Kelowna, his partner was in the store buying some supplies for their return trip. He was a "wedding photographer" and they had been in town for a job he did. It is an honour and privilege, that so frequently parents allow their young children, to interact with me while I'm playing music. Another fellow came by while I was playing, with a double stroller with two red-headed twin boys sitting side by side, grooving as they approached - he too stopped so they could enjoy the music for awhile.

It was determined while this was unfolding that the animal cushion (which the little girl had just got) was to be named "foxie." Mom came out of the store and joined them, they had a snack and listened to more music and then "tipped" me very generously (on top of having already tipped earlier). When they were getting ready to leave, the dad carried the little girl over to me to say goodbye and a round of "blowing-kisses" ensued. I asked them to wait for a moment; while I searched through my pocket and found a "gold-like" heart shaped locket. I had been carrying it around after taking a bunch of stuff to a shop for sale; a few items they had no interest in. I'm not sure what I was carrying it around for until just that moment - I gave it to her; telling her that was her own little "treasure." Her parents were surprised and touched exclaiming "you didn't have to give her something "in exchange." I acknowledged I realized that and that this was a gift. (Both the locket and the time we had all spent together!)

There certainly were no further lingering concerns about whether I could still "perform" after a somewhat lingering absence - it had been a magical couple of hours.

After I was finished I "shot the breeze" with one of the regular security guards that works patrolling in that area. Then I sat and had a snack from the market and finished the book I had borrowed from the library - "Round Ireland With a Fridge." The book was on loan to the local library from elsewhere in the province (so it had its own epic voyage getting to my hands; so I wanted to be sure and finish it before it was due back. It is a delightful story, the author has a great sense of humour. Reading the account of his experiences traveling around Ireland were both amusing and further inspirational for me; fuelling my yen for my own walk-a-bout in Ireland. My time will come.

I traded stories with another women that regularly stops and listens to my music, as we compared the "triskelion" pendants we both had. How luxurious to have had a morning such as this. Music, financial abundance, singing, laughing, sharing, food, reading and conversation; rich beyond my wildest dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment