Wednesday 6 July 2016

Peace an Oldie (idea) but a Goodie

I was wearing my "Imagine" T-shirt at work today. A black shirt with "Imagine" and "Peace" the most visible - the remainder of one of John Lennon's verses : "all the people living life in" is more thinly stencilled, as is the "Peace" sign.

Lennon's stand for peace - his artistic (and I would assert) personal integrity, are qualities that resonate for me - indeed they are values of mine.

It is intriguing to me that posthumously, there are those that insist on immediately denouncing the "whole" of John Lennon because; "well..... you know he beat his wife." Now before the "flames" are sent to my inbox .... I'm not for a minute, saying physical abuse of anyone, is okay. That particular aspect, albeit a significant issue, is not all that ought to define him. His life was cut short (shorter than the avg. life expectancy at any rate) who's to say, what he might have done with regard to those issues in particular, if he had actually been afforded, the opportunity?

Such commentary reflects more about those that utter them, than the subject. Ironic, given he was speaking (singing) about peace, was an activist, promoting/suggesting peace - though there are those that won't let him "rest in peace." Not that I believe that those still walking the planet , continuing to harangue him, are actually doing anything to disrupt, whatever is his, continued soul journey - they are certainly laying bare - where their ongoing quest for peace, could be undertaken.

What I want to say about this or at least suggest, is that one can make a significant contribution to a particular vision; without having attained spiritual nirvana first. Who can say that the path someone takes as their life's work/vocation, doesn't also become, that which leads to the excising of their demons? Of course with regard to being in personal relationship with someone - if they present as a danger then, I'm not suggesting you hang around and wait for them to evolve; bless them, wish them well and get the hell out! 

I also want to acknowledge with regard to "integrity," it's very simple to be critical of  someone else's efforts. It is another matter entirely, to consistently be congruent with talk and walk; not so easy, at least, this is true for me. This in itself is a practice that can be developed over time.

The shirt is a good conversation starter. Some have commented - "it's not enough to imagine peace - there needs to be peace!" "Oh wouldn't it be wonderful if there were actually peace!"

"There needs to be peace." How is that going to happen? It's not going to just happen! I know my just wearing the shirt doesn't make it so. At another point today, a staff member read it and commented, "we can't even achieve peace here in this work place, never mind the world."

I said, "it begins here - wouldn't peace here be a significant and worthwhile undertaking?" "It could then fan out from here." "I'll believe it when I see it!" was the response. (there are some schools of thought that would suggest, there is much power in "believe it, and then you'll see it.") I've only had the shirt a short while and it stimulates conversation each time I wear it. I figure peace can't be brought into ongoing conversations, too often. Does my being an "instrument of peace" necessitate that I will author the "next" peace prayer or manifesto? Or that I will one day deliver my oration breaking the silence, by inviting you to share in my "dream?" Maybe ... maybe not, I'm not fixated on grandiosity - I know it feels better to me to be part of the solution. I know for me, that my personal peace must not be undersold, undermined or abandoned, in order to "keep the peace." I also know I am responsible for my peace and it's restoration.

Given the causative factor of "dis-ease"/disharmony/discord are as varied as there are people, the approach to ushering in peace will need to be multi-faceted.

Maybe I should wear this shirt all the time - I realize the wearing of it doesn't "make me, peaceful." It is a visual reminder for me though - I suppose a different sensory variety of affirmation.  As I said, I'm certainly not exempt from acts of incongruence. I'd prefer not to be writing a blog post one day, outlining how I had a meltdown while wearing the peace shirt - it could happen though! A work in progress!

There might well be continued intermittent periods, of inner conflict upon my path for peace; before a lasting armistice, is declared.

I'm committed to the vision - I'm committed to the process.

I will believe - until I see it!


No comments:

Post a Comment