Monday 4 July 2016

Just Another Brick in the Road

The experience from the pulpit of my street musician ministry today was deeply satisfying. A gentleman sat at one of the side walk tables where I was playing. He was there through the full two hours of my performance. While I played, he sat and was both writing and sketching in a notebook. When I was reorganizing my song sheets at one point he got up, threw a handful of change in my case and then he says: "I'm not much of an artist, but you inspired me!" He then handed me a pencil sketch he had done of me playing. 

How great is that - I "inspired him!" Interesting to see what I look like through someone else's eyes. Who am I to determine whether it "looks like me" or not? I play "cover songs" which can become it's own double-edged sword. There is the possibility that some will find that pleasing; to hear a song they haven't heard for awhile, or that brings up a memory for them. There are those too, who I suppose you might call purists, that hold, if you don't perform it note for note like the original artist and their recording, then you haven't done justice to the song. Artist's interpretation some embrace it, others decry; lack of "original material" and doing covers, as some sort of sacrilege.

I was touched that this fellow included me in his "inspiration." More so when he began to share the latest instalment of "his story." 

"My wife just kicked me to the curb," he says. "I'm new to the streets." ....... "Well I'm not on the streets I'm staying at the hostel near here." "I have an apartment which comes available on the 15th of the month, until then I'm, at the "Backpacker's Inn."

He tells me he's frequenting the street drop in centre ("for coffee") - I know that meals are available there as well.

I don't know the details of his current situation, how it came to be. Thirty odd years they had been together. "Maybe we need some space he says." "We both have come to realize, we're getting old...." "I guess we need to figure out how to get old together." 

"Right now, I'm okay, I'm not on the street and I'm grooving to the tunes." "Thanks I've been enjoying that!"

It's remarkable to me that newly engaged in what some deem to be one of life's "crisis' there he sits, waxing philosophically; putting his energy into writing and drawing.  He asked to be reminded of my name at one point. "I am trying to journal each days experiences ("on the streets"). 

"That's great I said - who knows maybe you'll compile the raw material for a book!"

"Ya I like to write."

He commended me for busking, telling me, he tried it and wasn't very successful. 

"Good for you, hey success is all relative, you got out there and did it,  maybe you'll give it another shot some other time."  

"Certainly my experience with doing it - is that it's anything, but straightforward." "Some people love that I'm out here doing it - others see it through the eyes of contempt." "I love to sing - so I've got to keep bringing it back there." "It's humbling (always) and certainly has been a lesson in perseverance."

While I was replacing a broken string - he says: "it's a good thing you're doing" "whether supported or not, people are certainly interested to see how much is in the case." (an astute observation on his part, I've frequently seen people walk out of their way, just to assess the money, I suppose what they make that mean, is as varied as the people themselves).

Changes, constant changes nobody escapes it. 

I indicated my love of writing as well and told him about my blog. He keenly took down the web address of this platform. It was beautiful to see him taking hold of the seeds of what might become some new directions for him.

Again, I don't know anything about the causative factors of his current circumstances, but whatever they might be, certainly they don't represent the entirety of this fellow. I just saw someone engaged in various forms of self-expression; newly coping with a big transition in his life. Who knows what is next for him? I don't really know what's next for me!

However while we were on our respective journeys a mutually beneficially exchange of support, regardless of the nature or the time engaged; can transform and yield the extraordinary (I know this to be true for me).

I left the spot after finishing my set and told the fellow I'd be back (after a personal break) I had decided to "pay it forward" - as it turned out, he was gone when I returned.

I maintained my intention deciding the specific recipient wasn't important. I encountered another fellow on the street "pan handling" I stopped and talked to him for awhile. His little dog jumped up and let me know that he was "on duty," then he became more subdued, when I scratched behind his ear. The fellow shared some anecdotes of the two of them and their experiences on the street. His stories and the additional information, parlayed by of the scars on his arms; painted a picture of past challenges. The need to panhandle at least in part, demonstrates the current challenges. He had a bible on his lap which he had been reading before I interrupted. Just another traveller seeking answers to life's questions!

I gave him five dollars which was what I had decided was to be my offering before I had met him. I was still carrying it; the remains from a previous busking set. I have been blessed to receive five dollar contributions (even ten and twenty a few times) so I know the "boost" that provides. 

As much as the money is always welcome - I also know, that sometimes the more valuable exchange is a smile, a short conversation, even a hello in passing - it is truly priceless, while at the same time, costs nothing.

I am grateful for this "field study" in generosity that I have been gifted to experience. It has been an extended curriculum, that for me, has taken place in what many might consider to be the most unlikely of educational venues. 

Where I might have maintained at one point, that entrance to these hallowed halls of learning, has cost me everything - the truth is, I have gained immeasurably! 




No comments:

Post a Comment