Saturday 16 July 2016

Out of the Box (Unless it contains Sand)

I suppose today's events started yesterday; in as much as, I had decided to go to the gym yesterday which led to my being inspired to exercise outdoors today.

It would seem I've had myself a short hiatus from writing. Partly, that is due to my belief that no one gives a fiddler fig, about my personal perspectives and anecdotes. Just the same, it's the only thing I can write about with any "authority." I don't know much about anyone else's perspective or even why they do what they do. It also not my business; which leaves my viewpoint.

The other reason for my dry spell of late, is that even when I've thought about writing - it seemed I had sweet tweet to say. Oh my God the pressure mounts now, as I reveal a dry spell and in doing so perhaps imply, that this "relief" is somehow going to be particularly profound.

Well if it makes you feel any better I did sit on a hill top this afternoon. Surely from that vantage point I must have absorbed some universal wisdom?

I have really been wanting to get back to some sort of regular "fitness regimen." Yesterday after work was to be the day it all begins anew! I rode my bike to work and brought a change of clothes along; so that I could ride directly to the recreation centre, when my shift was done. For me to use the word "regimen" to apply to most anything I take on, is laughable. Which is why even though I thoroughly enjoyed my outdoor exercise today, I'm not going to now claim - "I'm going to do that every day!!!!" Because I'm not. Neither, am I going to write everyday. That has been me all over - find something that "strikes my fancy" then it's all or nothing.

I read something the other day, someone's "must does" to become a better writer (one of the "suggestions" was indeed 'write every day).' Yes I understand the need to apply oneself to their craft or endeavour. I don't see the point in tying my hands today, to something I thought was a good idea previously - today might be calling for something entirely different.

When I arrived at the gym yesterday, I swiped my pass under the scanner and heard the electronic chime of welcome from the computer (versus the foghorn-esque alert that sounds if your allotted purchased time has elapsed). I stopped and asked the receptionist how much time I had left; I had a feeling I was near the end of my pass. She replied that I had "one punch left."

That didn't make sense to me at first, as I was thinking in terms of the last 3 month pass I had purchased (not a 10-visit punch card). I asked for clarification she repeated much the same thing. I said that doesn't make sense, the last thing I purchased was a 3 month pass. She swore up and down that there was no "record of this," just that there had been a credit for today and one more remaining. She said (with a sigh) that she could check back through my purchases. I said "yes please do that."

Ironic that as a recreation centre employee, this person in particular, can make sitting at computer bringing up an account seem like some form of strenuous manual labour. While she was looking and still adamantly defending her computer world perspective, I remembered I still had my paper receipt from my last pass renewal. "Here we have it in "black and white," $151.00 Cedar Hill Recreation Centre." "That certainly can't be for a 10 visit punch card?" Her co-worker who has been listening in says - "no that would be a 3 month pass!" "This is what I'm saying," says I.

Upon examining the receipt more closely it became apparent that the "three months" had elapsed six days ago and that the "remaining" visits, were "punch card" purchases from long ago. So I could still work out yesterday and had one more visit paid for. It never was determined how she could see passes I had purchased years previously - but not one that I had just bought last April. I decided the answer was not useful - more to the point, the pursuit of the answer was of no value.

I said something about looking online with my phone and maybe buying another pass. The receptionist suggested working out and thinking about it. That turned out to be the most useful thing she had to offer during our interaction.

While working out I considered the merit of another three month pass. It occurred to me that the cost of that pass wasn't really in keeping with my financial visions right now. I also determined that being summer I could easily do some workouts outdoors - for free!! I have some exercise tubes (in various tensions) that I can fit in a small back pack) an old yoga mat, these in combination with some various body weight exercises and I'm set. If for some reason I want access to the recreation centres alternatively (weather, or a want to use their equipment) I can just buy a punch card or pay the drop in fee.

So today after work I rode my bike home, grabbed my stuff and walked to the park. Just the walk itself was refreshing. I haven't done that walk for sometime now. I also haven't been up to the local Garry Oak meadow lately. It is looking somewhat summer haggard. Even though we haven't had extremes in terms of sunlight hours; neither has there been much rain.  The grass, waist high in some spots, has long since gone to seed, and is now looking as though the vampire "summer" has drained it of all it's life enriching green - leaving just a mass of anemic stalks. The trees now fully flocked in leaves, are already revealing hints of their autumn hue.

It felt great to begin to exercise with a full view of nature all around me as well, as the hills on the horizon. I could feel the wind on my face and no sooner did I begin, a monarch butterfly danced upon the air around me. Now that never happens in the gym! Butterflies - a sign of transformation, perfect!

Not only was I feeling better physically - but I was nearly at once feeling more deeply connected.
"Ideas" for writing starting flowing in - just like "the old days." I had been begin to "think" lately, not only was the well running dry - someone nailed the door shut. (hmm... I wonder who that could be?)

Work .... eat ... sleep...     Work .... eat ... sleep (insidious but a rhythm that can creep up on a person). Especially me..... remember Mr. All or nothing?!! It's only a little over a year ago and I was challenged to try and create steady work (paying) again. I had all sorts of time for nature and connection. Then I redefined some priorities and got working again (all good) set some financial goals (a worthwhile vision albeit it may be, that my time frames might need tweaking) and then it's nearly zero visits to nature.

It matters not ..... today was oh so affirming, that I need to maintain time in nature. Not so long ago I began seeing different articles on "earthing" - I have to admit I scoffed to myself at the idea. Have we got so disconnected from nature, it has to be made into an event and given a new name? Apparently it can happen - so yes it can be a legitimate necessity.  It's not as though I spent time for example, back country hiking or camping; but I was getting out more frequently. I do live in a quasi-urban neighbourhood and without any conscious effort to the contrary, I guess I was walking on far more concrete and asphalt than grass.  Even just walked on the grassy boulevards on the way to the park - that in itself, felt so much more nurturing on my feet.

No foul committed here! Just some contrasting experiences and some reaffirmation of what makes me feel amazing! I used to be certified as a personal fitness trainer - which means I have plenty of experience with varieties of exercises to keep it fresh and to not need to rely on the public facilities. I know exactly what is calling me next - I need to walk the logs and rocks of the water front and walk bare foot in the sand.

As for regimes, structures, routines - I will not throw the baby out with the bath water. So for now what I will commit to, is what works. That's a promise I can keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment