Thursday 5 July 2018

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

It would be easy to presume that were you to decide to pursue a "spiritual path," that from then on you go about life somehow floating above ("transcending") mindsets and life pursuits, that otherwise "mere mortals," continue to engage with. How might you draw this conclusion? Why through speaking to some of these people, or being a fly on the wall, somewhere where they gather.

"Oh no, I only drive my Platinum Edition Hummer with the all season hemp tires; to yoga, three times a week." "Well yes it does have an all-leather interior - but I just know intuitively, that the hides were ethically sourced,"  "I can tell by the energy in my vehicle, that this was a one very happy cow." "I pray daily for the people going into the steak house - may they be forgiven, for they know not what they do!"

Ironically many, in the spiritual walks of life, like to distinguish themselves from "religious people" citing the hypocrisy of religion. Meanwhile being quite oblivious to their own.

If you feel passionate about being a vegan then do your homework, learn how to continue to meet decent nutrition standards, and enjoy yourself. If you feel called to meditate then there are dozens of paths available - books and dvd presentations galore. If you are drawn to something, there's a good chance there is something in it for you. However, there is nothing "spiritual" about self-righteous evangelical, I gave up cable so now my shit don't stink; ways of being in the world.

Renunciation is not uncommon in different spiritual paths; including some to which people devote their entire lives. Without the "distraction" of worldly goods and concerns - the adherents are more free to focus their attention on their spiritual development. This life is not necessarily for everyone and not the only way to explore your spirituality.

Again, should you choose to renounce various foods, "social activities," ways of life, then do so because you feel inspired to do so. I don't advocate self-mandated suffering. And you are not better than anyone else for having made this choice. When I take something like this on - it is then part of the crucible through which I might just experience some personal growth.  I'm not entitled to any accolades from anyone els,e nor to lord it over them.

Yesterday when I got home after spending the day traveling some of the back roads and to villages up the island on my motorcycle; I was unpacking my gear and putting it away and then discovered, I was missing the hat I had with me all day long.

Retracing my steps up to my apartment it was nowhere to be seen; not still in the saddle bags; not lying anywhere around my apartment. I don't have clear recall. I was carrying my helmet with glasses and the case in it, had a small back pack and my keys. If I'd had the hat on my head, it should have made it into my apartment. I remember taking it off and stowing in a saddle bag. The reason I remember that, is because I frequently pack the saddle bag; do up the straps and buttons, and then when I go to put my helmet on, I realize I'm still wearing the hat, and have to open the saddle bag to pack it. It can't come out of the bag while riding, the flap overlaps and buckles and buttons closed.

So it's possible I had it tucked under my arm on the way up to my apartment and dropped it on route. Maybe someone in the building found it and has it. I put a note on a bulletin board by the mailboxes - last night (which not everyone would have had a chance to see yet - or respond to).

Today I went to town and bought a new hat!

I know a thing or too about "impermanence." I believe I have a healthy perspective on love for self, love of others and not putting too much value upon "stuff." (though I would suggest taking care of my belongings is an extension of caring for myself). Granted, many things are not built to last, but taking care of them, can extend their useful longevity.

I even have other hats that are essentially the same style as the one I lost - however they are wool and too hot, this time of year. I have ball cap style hats which functionally provide me with what I need this time of year, which is shading from the sun. I don't always want the ball cap look. Parts of my head have renounced growing hair; so I have largely either closed cropped or shaved my entire head for years. I grew it out a little a while ago, to see what was going on these days - there were no startling revelations! It still grows where it does and not where it doesn't.

I wear that lost hat at some part of pretty much ever day - it doesn't matter how I hold the hat philosophically, my naked scalp requires coverage!

I don't care to live out this scenario: "Wow your head is really burnt, that must be painful!"

"Well yes it is, it hurts like hell," "but I am embracing the principle of impermanence." "I lost my hat, and that is just a reminder that all in life is temporary;" "therefore my suffering is preferable, to my continued exhaustion, of the ever depleting resources of our planet, by buying another hat."

I imagine the divine universal intelligence providing the following guidance:

"Dude for God-sake, get off the pot, and buy another hat!"


R. O'Neill (July 05, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment