Sunday 22 July 2018

Pardon Me

Francis continues to express in what might appear to be a statement that cancels itself out:

" It is in pardoning, that we are pardoned"

It doesn't say if we think about pardoning; or that if we engage in the debate regarding pardoning and consider we have an air-tight case for not pardoning... It doesn't say that if we speak of intention to pardon; someday, maybe - "ya that's it I'll start fresh on Monday!!"

It very emphatically states - that we are pardoned when (& only when) we have pardoned.

This brings the mirroring of each other and our all being "One" into play. Resentment, judgment, condemnation, intolerance etc. if considered from the perspective of the adage; when there is one finger pointing out at another there are three pointing back at me; in this light, there can be seen to be a myriad of shadow characteristics within me, for which I have not offered my pardon (acceptance & forgiveness).

As long as I continue to vilify outside myself, seeking and seething, with a heart steeped in vengeance; I cannot possibly experience, the release and freedom of pardon. In our society we are given no end of cause and "reason," to find fault and deficiency in ourselves. There are unfortunately precious few conversations, or at least they are still in the minority, that are occurring around the idea of self-love, forgiveness, empathy & understanding; which is why the world, is in the state that it is.

I can attest to having been judge, jury and executioner in my life. Ironically, I wouldn't have allowed anyone else to speak to me, the way I spoke to myself. And the truth is, it's simply not merited.

No one, but us for ourselves, can grant this amnesty; you can be reminded by someone else of your innate value, and the sanctity of your person; but if you don't believe it for yourself, the well wishes of others, will fall on deaf ears.

It serves nothing nor no one, to continue to stoke the fires of resentment and bitterness. It doesn't mean, that one puts themselves in harm's way for the sake of forgiveness. It is just a process whereby I can free my own heart from the chains I bind it with.

Each must decide, when they are ready, to at least consider embracing themselves, with enough love - that they are willing, to let their own heart off the hook.

R. O'Neill (July 22, 2018)


No comments:

Post a Comment