Monday 16 July 2018

Joy to Your World

The last line of the first verse of Francis' prayer directs:

"Where there is sadness, joy"

How can you possibly experience joy in your life if you see continually see it from the perspective of what it lacks?

We as a society are bombarded with advertisements aimed at convincing us that we would be better off if we just had what they have to sell. They play on and exploit insecurities (and they know full well that they are doing so - they have gone to great lengths to learn just what buttons to push).

There are no end of gurus, teachers, healers etc. that position themselves in the world as the answer to filling "the void" so many secretly feel within themselves. Many are consciously aware that this "void" exists - but they continue on their way through life behaving as though something is missing.

Nothing is missing. I am, you are - enough!

You don't need the love and approval of any collective - you don't need a leader. If I chronically believe that the next accomplishment, the next purchase, the next job, the next relationship will book me passage on the joy train - it is inevitable that once I'm there - I'll be setting my sights on the "next" - again!

It is thinking I don't have "enough" - that is the catalyst for sadness. Even more sad - a chronic state of thinking that I'm not enough. How can that be anything else but sad? The thinking needs to be changed. What is called for is an attitude adjustment.

I'm not talking about dismissing acute feelings of sadness which are there to be felt and expressed. I'm referring to long term "the sky is falling" melancholy - that no matter how good things are, they'd be so much better if.............

Constantly comparing myself to others is a sure fire way to sadness. "They have this," and if only I had their talent (money, good looks) blah.. blah.. blah

I have what God (the Creator) gave me - who am I to diminish or dismiss that? If I want to get myself on the path to more joy in my life I might focus on fostering some acceptance and gratitude.

I know it's sometimes challenging to think of gratitude when there are various life challenges present. Just the same, when I put my focus on what I do have to be grateful for it puts me in a higher energy state which is more useful to deal with those challenges.

Then if I decide I would enjoy to have something in particular - I do what it takes and go ahead and get it. Not because I'm incomplete without it. Not because I'm any better with it. All the trappings of the material world are only temporary anyway. Doesn't mean they can't be enjoyed and appreciated while I have them. The cart has been placed before the horse when I in effect worship this stuff (or other person/s, places or things) as though my worth and wellness depends on it.

Go ahead and feel joyful. If not now, when? Bring your joyful self into all encounters - lead by example. Your exhibiting joy "give permission" for others to lighten up or at least shows them it is a viable option. Where you encounter sadness in others, listen - allow them to express themselves, and then point out their good qualities and what they have to be grateful for. Maybe they haven't heard that for awhile; maybe they never have heard it.

It is very easy to buy in to the "lack" mentality - it is everywhere. As such it is readily habituated and lends to chronic sadness.

There is enough of that in the world. The suggestion to bring joy is as applicable now, as it was in the time of Francis of Assisi.

R. O'Neill (July 16, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment