Tuesday 24 July 2018

Never Too Late


Forgive me
My old friend
I owe amends
That are some
Twelve years overdue

You stood 
As perhaps
The only example
of 
Unconditional love
That I 
Will ever experience
In this lifetime
Or perhaps
The only 
Being allowed
Near my 
Heart
For a 
Very long time

You took up 
Far more
Than your
Share
Of 
My bed?

When we 
Walked 
The trails
I frequently
Had to apologize
For the picnics
You attended
Uninvited

You knew
You always knew
When it was 
Time to play
And when 
It was time
For soul-soothing
Power-nap

When the time
Came
To say good-bye
I did 
What I had to do
It broke 
My heart
But I never 
Let on

It felt to me
Like the
Ultimate betrayal

I realize now
My greatest
Sin of omission
Was to 
Not tell you
While you 
Slipped away
I love you
And I will miss you

Perhaps now
Your legacy
Will be 
My allowing
My heart 
To love 
Again

R. O'Neill (July 24, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment