Wednesday 18 July 2018

The "Consolation" Prize

The second verse of Francis' prayer begins:

"Oh Divine Master, 
Grant that I may not so much seek, 
To be consoled, as to console"

Here there are a couple of things at play. We are all one; so therefore the suffering of someone else, is our suffering. The second consideration is that, what I want to experience in my life, I need to bring into the world.

So if I want the experience of being consoled ... I need be consoling. The path of spiritual growth will then, orient one to expand their consciousness, beyond themselves & have concern for others. It doesn't mean abandoning myself and what I need; to be of service to others, my cup must be full and kept full.

I've worked in and around "health care" for years - there you can witness first hand, innumerable people, "burning the candle at both ends." The system can't force people to do it, but the culture encourages it, and the employer only minimally discourages it. There are many who have pushed themselves into a state of exhaustion. Generally the justification is - "I need the money," or it is derived from a unbalanced perception of caring for others and self-neglect. Those that are pushing their limits, both put themselves, and the people they are "looking after," at risk.

So caring for and about others, doesn't call for self-neglect.

It is beneficial though, to take the time to be of service to someone else. There is nothing to be gained by me dwelling on my own "trials and tribulations;"- incessantly. It is possible, that the answer may come for me, while getting out of myself, and showing up for another person.

So I'm not "helping" them in order to get something in return - but I can't help but receive the gifts of being - that instrument of peace.

R. O'Neill (July 18, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment