Monday 29 February 2016

"Fairwell my Friend"


The path weaves it way through the meadow - now adorned in summer finery. Legions of Garry oaks which not so long ago conjured the illusion of death - extend their embrace - life exuding from their earthen hued frocks. Alas all is not as it was, for where once stood a lone sentry, a guardian that held fast at the entrance to the glen, there is now just the sawn stump partially uprooted -the undignified remains of this gentle giant. The ground that appeared to have erupted at the time of it's demise is all but grown over with wild grasses, concealing the crater below. To the unfamiliar eye it could appear as though there is nothing amiss. I know its fate - after remaining steadfast for many a year - last winter evoked a wind that would prove to be both formidable and lethal.
Though many will not know of your presence - I thank you my friend for each day that you welcomed me upon the trail. I thank you for the wisdom and the teachings that have been freely offered while I sat in your company. Forgive my sentimentality as I struggle to just bless and honour you on your continued journey. Most of all thank you for introducing me to that part of my heart that knows we are one - I will miss you! Until we meet again!



No comments:

Post a Comment